Neck shaving : technique ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck shaving : technique ?

I was just wondering what were your techniques to shave the neck of a set-neck or neckthru geet. Thanks for your answers !

Use a Gillette Mach 3.....

Comment

Sand paper.
      Just pretend you're rubbing one out... nice and slow.
      -Rick

Comment

And what should I use when I'll get to the wood to protect it ?

Comment

There are many options.
          You could oil it, have it refinished, have it clear coated... the list goes on.
          -Rick

Comment

Just remember, you're flushing your guitars value down the crapper But if you like it, thats cool, just plan on hanging on to it.

Comment

Why do you want to shave it; is it too thick and you want to make it thinner, or do you not like a finished neck? If you don't like the high gloss finish, then just lightly sand it to a matte satin finish... it can always be buffed back out again to a high gloss for future resale.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I prefer Edge shaving gel and a Gillete Fusion, but to each their own. Becareful of the jugular vein and pretty much just take enough passes to remove all hair. Shouldn't your dad have covered this with you?

I'm going against the general consensus here and saying skip the sandpaper and get a cabinet scraper. Rockler and Woodcraft have them for only a few bucks, last a lot longer than sandpaper and give finish that is much smoother than sandpaper. You can shave down as quickly as you can with 100 grit paper and get it as smooth as 800 grit or better. I also think they are easier to control how much material is being removed.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
                  Well I prefer Edge shaving gel and a Gillete Fusion, but to each their own. Becareful of the jugular vein and pretty much just take enough passes to remove all hair. Shouldn't your dad have covered this with you?

I'm going against the general consensus here and saying skip the sandpaper and get a cabinet scraper. Rockler and Woodcraft have them for only a few bucks, last a lot longer than sandpaper and give finish that is much smoother than sandpaper. You can shave down as quickly as you can with 100 grit paper and get it as smooth as 800 grit or better. I also think they are easier to control how much material is being removed.
                  The old Martin guitar spoke shaver! Used for shaping wagon wheel spokes! No kidding that's what they use to rough the shape.

+1 and make some templates from sheet plastic or card board so you can check your progress. This will help you keep the profile consistant.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't give a damn about resale, cause it's about my Ran, and as it's a "luthier's" guitar, its value is already damn down.
                    I just want to shave it because I ordered it painted, and as of now I prefer the feeling of an oiled neck.

Comment

Get used to it and quit whining .

Comment

Rans are not low in price....their prices are increasing and they are getting more and more known.

But IMO, if you do it very nicely, it shouldn't affect the value.

Comment

Originally posted by Valeck View Post
                          I don't give a damn about resale, cause it's about my Ran, and as it's a "luthier's" guitar, its value is already damn down.
                          I just want to shave it because I ordered it painted, and as of now I prefer the feeling of an oiled neck.
                          Ran's are a POS. I'll give you a couple hundred for it now, or $50 after you ruin it:ROTF:

Seriously, find another guitar like an ESP and do it to that.

Comment

Every do-it-yourself neck sanding project I have seen turned out ghey

Comment

I have a beater Hohner that had a painted neck and I didn't like it. I used a very sharp Swiss Army knife. I was careful and used it as a plane. It worked guite well getting the paint off. And then, I used it to open a bottle of wine.:ROTF:
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X