Hearing both pickups on an RR5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing both pickups on an RR5

I recently got an RR5 (how sweet it is!). I knew this when I got it, but no matter where you have the toggle set, you can always hear both pickups. So, for example, if I have the toggle to the bridge only, I can still hear the neck pickup some. Is this something that is exclusive to the RR5? I'll eventually coil tap/push pull pots the pups, so I'll be digging in anyway, is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks for the help. Hope it hasn't been answered, just spend quite awhile searching around.

Seems like some wires are fukked, or maybe the switch. Anyway, you'll probably fix this when you redo the wiring.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I've heard other people say the same thing happens with their RR5s, anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Well, today I was able to dig in and do the coil split (sweet!) I THINK the problem was 2 wires were soldered on wrong to the pots. If you look at the wiring diagrams for JBs from SD, mine had the white and black wires switched. Now I don't hear any of the bleed I was getting before and am quite happy.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I recently encountered the same issue. If you switch the wiring on the tone pot (capacitor to the middle lug and 2 white wires to the first lug) this will fix the issue of the bleed through.

Comment

I've had this problem with mine as well. I mostly use the bridge pup, so it's not really and issue..but you can still hear both.

Comment

piranhaguy, when you do this, does it mute the guitar if your have both pups selected but one is turned down all the way? Thats the way mine works now and I like it quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
                piranhaguy, when you do this, does it mute the guitar if your have both pups selected but one is turned down all the way? Thats the way mine works now and I like it quite a bit.
                Not unless you change the wiring on the volume pots as well.

Comment

I had a 3-way toggle once where the prong that's supposed to touch the center contact wasn't touching when it was supposed to, and bending it in place fixed that. I suppose the same prong could be bent so that it never breaks contact, or it could be wired such that the circuit is closed (meaning sound is coming through) when the prongs are not touching, and open (no sound) when the contacts are touching.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X