Brass Bridge Clear Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Bridge Clear Coat

Just finished polishing my brass bridge and looking to "clear it" for protection. What is the best product and/or way to keep its luster. Automotive clear lacquer?

Thanks Vince
    Turn that Sh......... down!

I tried that once on my "sustain block", it seemed to continue to oxidize underneath the clearcoat. Removed the clearcoat and just keeping it clean works better, from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I tried that once on my "sustain block", it seemed to continue to oxidize underneath the clearcoat. Removed the clearcoat and just keeping it clean works better, from my experience.
      Agreed I wouldn't F with it, I think old brass bridges were dipped in a Plastic coat?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just give it a light coat of wax.

Do you find that your hand oils tarnish it fairly quickly?
        Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
          Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just give it a light coat of wax.

Do you find that your hand oils tarnish it fairly quickly?
          Yes.

On clear coating, I've used 2 part urethane clear. It works, but you have to mist on the first several light coats. Since there is no profile for the clear to grab onto, it has a tendancy to puddle up if you put it on too thick in the first few coats.
          Eastwood has several new products including clearcoating for polished wheels that are spray can solvent based. I have not tried these, but you might give it a shot. Most of the Eastwood products I've used have been excellent. This stuff maybe the ticket
          http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
          X