EMGs hummmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs hummmm

My latest Charvel had some EMGs installed but it wasn't done 100% correctly because they never installed the proper pots (which I have just completed). I have another guitar with EMGs and that one is dead silent. This one has some hummming that sounds a little different than the typical ground buzzzing. I can touch my strings and what-not and it does not make the hum go away. My questions is, should these pickups be almost dead silent? The hum is bad enough that after playing a song, I have to turn down the volume all the way.

thanks!

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

nope, not normal. are you sure you didnt fry the one or more of the pots while putting them in (its not that hard to do!) check the wiring on the jack and make sure its good as well. you could have one wire off and still be able to play, but the hum and buzz would be horrible (had that happen on a buddy's guitar. passive pickups but im assuming it can happen with EMGs as well).
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Also make sure that the strings are NOT grounded. This is not needed with an EMG system. If theres a grounding wire going to the trem spring claw, take it off.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        Also make sure that the strings are NOT grounded. This is not needed with an EMG system. If theres a grounding wire going to the trem spring claw, take it off.
        1. Yep, already cut the write from the trem.

2. I think the pots are still fine because the guitar hummmed before I replaced them. I didn't check the input jack to see if something there is weird.

again the hum is not terrible, just a little annoying but enough to want to correct it.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
          I didn't check the input jack to see if something there is weird.
          You might want to check/verify the input jack is the correct 3 tab/stereo version and that the wires are connected to the correct tabs.

Comment

EMG pick-ups do make noise/hum/BUZZ/ground-noise.
            Even when installed by JACKSON.
            JvicE

Comment

None of my EMG's buzz at all. And Ive got 16 of em.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by j4vice View Post
                Neither does mine, I have an 85.

Comment

EMGs dont buzz and hum. if they do there is something wrong with the wiring, or less often one of the pickups. EMG pickup troubles are rare (ive only heard of a handful of cases of bad pickups) so its usually a fault of the wiring, either being wired incorrectly or bad pots.
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

You guys are lucky,

Tell GodwentPUNK how to fix it. There's an electronics place down here that for $100 they 'insulate' the inside and re-do the GROUND wires

DK-1 custom shop last year. Had to get rid of EMG's - BUZZ/grounding problems.
                    Last edited by j4vice; 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM.
                    JvicE

Comment

If you have the quick-connect cables, make sure the wires are in their sockets properly, otherwise you may need to shield the cavity with shileding tape.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You guys are lucky,

Tell GodwentPUNK how to fix it. There's an electronics place down here that for $100 they 'insulate' the inside and re-do the GROUND wires

DK-1 custom shop last year. Had to get rid of EMG's - BUZZ/grounding problems.
                        replaced with GIBSON HUMBUCKERs (arrgh!) result = no BUZZ Aaand still 'loud'
                        Sounds like you are the odd one out, j4...I know mine is dead silent, that's why it's my favorite for recording. As for GWP's, problem, I ditto the earlier suggestion there may be a problem with the pot.

Comment

Last night I feel asleep before I could test anything. Tonight I'm going to try (to stay awake) and look at this bastard. The guy I got the guitar from said he had it for 10 years and I'm guessing that the prior owner did the work (so, no clips).

btw, the cavity of the guitar is shielded...this is my '84 charvel that I'm working on.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

ok, I poked around for a hour or so. Everything looked good (at least to these inexperienced eyes).

I'd like to maybe change a little on what my issue is.

It's really not a hum but more of a hiss, a white noise kind of thing. I only really experiece this on my high-gain channels. The pickups sound quite on the clean channel.

joe....
                            www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Sounds like amp noise to me then. Do your other guitars make a similar noise when plugged into the high gain channel?

EMG's should definitely not do what you are experiencing.

Comment

Working...
                              X