JT580 LP Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580 LP Set Up

Just did my first string change on my DK2 since I bought it online. As a result, the B and E strings sound like a sitar or something and have no resonation at all, just a brief twang. I can't see anything that is deadening them, even after putting the strings in again. Also the JT580 LP is at a harsher angle now down toward the body as if I created a lot more tension with the strings I put on (D-XL .10s). The trem bar has about one inch to work with before it dives underneath the strings which are too high for my tastes now. Is this common?

I'm trying to read up on the nuances of adjusting everything but I'm not very techy with guitars, just bite the bullet and have a pro set it up and watch if I can?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Let me guess... you went from .009's to .010's?
    You will need to re level the trem by adding tension to the trem springs.
    You basically need to remove the back cover and tighten up the spring claw screws a couple of turns.
    It's a balancing act of string tension and spring tension.
    It takes some practice, and patience to get it right.
    If you lack the patience, have a pro redo the setup.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not positive what guage they came with from the factory. I guess I should expirement a little for my own benefit and try to tweak it at home first.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

posting pics of the floyd rose's level compared to the body would help, but like the rjohnstone said, tightening the spring screws would help.

if you need any other info on setting up a floyd rose, 99% chace its in this video which i always show to people with questions

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3QZA6FW4

if it's too fast, you're too old
        see ya!

Comment

Sorry if it seems like im beating a dead horse, but when changing string guages, does intonation have to be adjusted?

Comment

Pretty much everything will need a little tweak yes.

Comment

And that is what makes it fun?:ROTF: Tweaking is a way of life for me. Not Meth. You dolts.:ROTF:
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Speaking of intonating a Floyd-style trem...is there an easy way to do it?
                Scott

Comment

balance the tension between the springs in the back and your strings at proper tune.
                  make sure the bridge is sitting 100% level with the body. after you get it to set level and intune at the same time... then set the intonation.

intonation is set by moving the saddle forward or backwards. with the string in tune, check the tuning at the 12th fret. and adjust the saddle till its in tune both open and depressed at the 12th fret.

remember, the longer the string, the lower the note.

this will take a long time when you are first learning how to do it. and if you don't spend at least 20 mins just stretching the strings real good right after you put them on, you won't ever get the trem to sit level.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ive heard that using the 24th fret (if you have it) is a superior way of intonating? Any truth to this claim?

Also, short of loostening off the string tension on the string every time you want to adjust the saddle, is there any way to do this? A tool perhaps?

Comment

Slightly off topic. But who was they guy talking about intonating the guitar "off" for lower tunings (semi old thread)? Was trying to explain that to a buddy but couldn't really remember the logic behind it. Something about making the sixth string slightly flat since it will go sharp with a hard attack.....
                      EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by eon View Post
                        Also, short of loostening off the string tension on the string every time you want to adjust the saddle, is there any way to do this? A tool perhaps?
                        Yeah, that's what I meant by my question. It takes forever to intonate by tuning up, checking, loosening strings, adjusting, tuning up, checking, ....
                        Scott

Comment

Guess there isnt an easier way, heh...

If I had the money, id get my axe set up professionally... but I dont. So I guess im going to have to hrmm-and-hawww until I do, or I get around to doing it myself... ughh.

Comment

Working...
                          X