best humbucker for Basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best humbucker for Basswood?

Thinking about the best humbucker for basswood.
    Going for med-high gain.

I have and like the Custom in a basswood and like it, also J90c and I like it, but thinking of something more "gibsonny".

Think a distortion or 59 is something I should try? I like them in Alder/Poplar for what I am talking about.

I have JB phobia for some reason and am afraid a super D or Dimarzio SuperIII will be too middy/sterile. Maybe I am wrong, basically trying to get a non-ceramic magnet pinkup.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

well, when i used to play ibanez guitas i used the dimarzio PAF pro. not real gibson-like, but it sounded smooth and awesome!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

+1 on the PAF pro.Super D is a great choice nothing sterile about a super D.A JB is a good choice just use a 300k or lower value vol pot.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

SD Custom Custom sounds perfect in a Basswood body.
        To me anyway.
        -Rick

Comment

I like the PAF Pro in basswood, but a JB or even a Screamin' Demon will sound good, especially if you are playing at band volumes. Plenty of midrange punch. You might want to consider an Invader too. Although it really gets marketed as a hot pickup for metal, the Invader is very balanced in basswood and far more versatile than you might imagine.
          sigpic

Comment

How bout a "Burstbucker"?
            Audio samples here:http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acces...r%20Pro%20(1)/

ps:Isnt the EVH series "Basswood",how bout that Pup?
            Last edited by ADR; 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              To me anyway.
              how is the Custom Custom as compared to the Custom? I love the razor sharpness of the Custom in my model 1, but was looking for a tad more fullness (that I think the wood is muting). That's why I thought about a PAF with a little more hair.

Am I looking for a "rounder" Custom, or a hotter PAF? We're close here I think.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
                how is the Custom Custom as compared to the Custom? I love the razor sharpness of the Custom in my model 1, but was looking for a tad more fullness (that I think the wood is muting). That's why I thought about a PAF with a little more hair.

Am I looking for a "rounder" Custom, or a hotter PAF? We're close here I think.
                The Custom Custom has a warmer tone than the Custom, and it's also just a touch hotter.
                -Rick

Comment

Hmm, I am scared to lose the midrange of the Custom, and the Custom Custom is Alnico II.

the custom V and PAF pro are both Alnico V, but the PAF is much lower output.

I am leaning toward the Custom V, but the description on the SD site has them both covering each other's territory some.

Thanks for the input. Now I will probably flip a coin and wait for a deal to pop up on one. Thanks!

Comment

What about the DiMarzio VH (Virtual Hot) PAF?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Whatever you do stay away from the SD Invader.

I have one in a Ibanez RG and it sounds like mush.
                      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                      Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

As you said in your first post, the J90C sounds good. Maybe more "tight" than Gibson pickups, which sound loose to me (even the 500T). Maybe try a 498T?

P.S. why are we trying to make a basswood body bolt-on guitar sound more like a Gibson flavor? Let it do what it does best.

Comment

I'd either go Custom Custom or Duncan Distortion.

if its got a maple neck, then I'd definitely go Custom Custom. it will give you that sweetness and roundness while still maintaining a good edge.

the Distortion will give you more edge and crispiness.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Your words, "PAF with a little more hair."

You're describing DiMarzio, The Breed pretty much.

I love this pickup in the neck position with a TZ in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              To me anyway.
                              +1 on that

Comment

Working...
                              X