Pickup covers attached?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup covers attached?

OK so YES I have already searched the JCF regarding this issue, but haven't figured it out. If I have standard pickup rings and standard Duncan humbuckers and want to add pickup covers for cosmetic/tone reasons, are the covers held on merely by the pup magnets, or do I have to apply a wax adhesive under the covers? Thanks!

Metal pickup covers are solder on.

Comment

they come off and on rather easliy. I've seen them soldered and not soldered with looked like additional parifan wax. either way its not a major job.

the std pickup rings would work. Just need to make sure the cover you get match up with the screw pole pieces...ie std vs F spacing. If you duncans dont have the flat head screw pole pieces on one bobbin the metal covers will look lik ass imho...
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Wow, they are soldered on? Where exactly is the solder joint? I'm not seeing that come together in my mind.

Comment

IF they were soldered on, youd clearly see it on the bottom of the pickup. If you dont see a dab of solder anywhere around the bottom edge, then its probably wax. Just heat the pickup up with a blowdryer and thatll soften the wax enough to let you get the cover off if it indeed not soldered on.

Usually to install them, I just use a very small dab of clear RTV. Works like a charm.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            ...want to add pickup covers for cosmetic/tone reasons
            Covers won't do anything for your "tone".

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
              Covers won't do anything for your "tone".

VERY TRUE!

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969 View Post
                VERY TRUE!
                +2

Also, If they are soldered on, I'd get some de-soldering tape or a desoldering tool. It makes the job much less difficult. The solder has a tendency to flow with the joint and makes it hard to seperate. Either, that or get a buddy with gloves on to pull on the cover while you heat the solder. It's a 4 handed job without the desoldering tool.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

OK OK so I wouldn't expect a major difference in tone, but stewmac's site does have page that has a differing opinion:

http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/cov...pacitance.html

"A byproduct of having grounded conductive metal or shielding paint near a pickup’s coil is a high-end attenuation (cut) caused by a capacitance effect. This is the same effect that will make your guitar set-up sound warmer—or duller, depending on your perception—when you use a longer cable between the guitar and the amp. A five-foot cable will give a slightly brighter sound than a twenty footer."

Comment

Plastic covers don't change the tone at all, + they're inexpensive and you can paint them to match the guitar's graphic/finish

Never tried metal pickup covers, but since they're metallic and in the magnetic field's way i'd assume they do have an effect on tone.
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I'm actually interested in the "high end cut" of a metal cover. I like to remove the tone knobs on my guitars, and often end up with a slightly brittle tone with it out of the circuit. As a workaround, I'll usually put a 500K resistor inline with a cap in the control cavity. Metal covers may be an interesting alternative, although I doubt the cut would be as substantial as having a capacitor.

Comment

So to re-cap guys, he's talking about ADDING cover, not taking them off.

I have taken some off, but never put them on. While talking them off, I've noticed solder points at both the side facing the bridge AND at the sidae facing the neck. Another thing to note, is that apparently, if you do not get them on right, they COULD cause squeeling. I think it has something to do with the cover in relation to the pole pieces, as I recall one person recommending using silicon sealant to install, so as to also isolate the cover from the pickup, slightly. Don't quote me, but that's how I recall it.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've taken original covers off of Gibson PAF's, Classic '57's and 490T's. I know Gibson uses nothing under the covers. They are just pushed on so that then sit on top of the bobbin. Then are soldered underneath on the base plate. I've never taken any other makes covers off. Interesting to see what Duncan's look like under the cover.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks! I actually have some silicon sealant lying around from my fishtank. Anyone have any pics of pickup covers on a Jackson? I was wondering if they would look old skool, or just plain ghey.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              Thanks! I actually have some silicon sealant lying around from my fishtank. Anyone have any pics of pickup covers on a Jackson? I was wondering if they would look old skool, or just plain ghey.
                              They need to be on an LP or 335 style axe. Otherwise they will look gay.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X