Wild Floyd Rose tricks... HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Floyd Rose tricks... HELP!!

Okay guys, I want to know how to FULLY utilize my Floyd Rose bridges, not just for simple dives and vibratos, but for those big wails and police siren effects.

For example, listen to Halford's "Resurrection". In the intro, there's a huge Floyd wail, and there's lots of wails towards the end of the solo, as well as the final chorus.

Also, listen to Judas Priest's "Painkiller", there's lots all over the place, as well as Arch Enemy's "Ravenous".

An example of the "police siren" effect is in Halford's "Savior", in the intro. Make sure you listen to the "Resurrection" CD version rather than the "Live Insurrection" version, because the former has the siren wail, whereas the latter version doesn't.

Those are some of my favorite examples.

So, how do you do them? My guitar teacher mentioned a while ago that the guys from Halford, in the intro of "Resurrection", they actually switch pickups halfway through the dive. That would mean the neck pickup on the dive, and then flick to the bridge pickup for the bending up.

I think they are created using natural harmonics, but when I tried the harmonic and then diving and just generally fooling around with the Floyd, they didn't sound right.

Re: Wild Floyd Rose tricks... HELP!!

For that high pitched wail used alot by Steve Vai, and I'm sure it's the same type you're talking about, you hit a harmonic on the 3rd fret of the G string. It can be used for different ways.

I'm planning on writing something in this section about different effects you can do with a Floyd. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll have to listen to Savior to see what you are talking about for the police siren thing.

Also, check Steve Vai's website. He has a bunch of stuff about different effects you can do with a floyd.

Comment

Re: Wild Floyd Rose tricks... HELP!!

Word,

I look forward to it.

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for anyone posting lessons or mp3s here. They are each valuable learning tools.

DRH

[ December 09, 2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: DRH ]

Comment

Working...
      X