Grrrrrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrrr

Im sure some of you remember my frankenstien project i did a few years ago. In case you forgot.

Well the trem posts decided to break through the pup cavity. And now its frikkin useless. I tried epoxy and it didnt work. I've gotten a few other recomendations. including having my tech at work cut that piece of the body out. And replacing it with a new piece of wood. But it's gonna cost me at least 125 bucks. I was gonna replace th ebody with the body of a mex strat at work. But it sold today. Even after i told the custy ( a guy a i've known for years) that i was thinking about buying it. He still bought it. Go figure. Maybe i'll get lucky and he'll return it. Its a satin black std strat. Which would've worked fine. Even tho the original i did was on a red body. Or I can go get a pretty heavy in weight. Lotus strat copy at the pawn shop by me.
    Maybe i can talk him down to 50 bucks. Unless you guys have any ideas on an inexpesive solid way to fix this body i have. Keep in mind the trem posts have broken through. The wood wont hold the studs in place under the tension when tuned up to pitch. Help me.
    Gil

I know of a guy who has fixed that before
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Had a similar problem when i modded a 22-fret Rhoads body for a 24-fret neck a few years back - the posts had to be where the bridge pickup was, so i had to patch the cavities with fiberglass resin and redo them in the right places. To make the fiberglass solid enough, i "encastrated" a 3mm thick steel plate right in front of the posts, that went from the control cavity all the way to 2-3 cm above the trem route. Never had any problems with it.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Here's another way to fix it ....
        http://www.dinosguitarworks.com/15.html

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
          Im sure some of you remember my frankenstien project i did a few years ago. In case you forgot.

Well the trem posts decided to break through the pup cavity. And now its frikkin useless. I tried epoxy and it didnt work. I've gotten a few other recomendations. including having my tech at work cut that piece of the body out. And replacing it with a new piece of wood. But it's gonna cost me at least 125 bucks. I was gonna replace th ebody with the body of a mex strat at work. But it sold today. Even after i told the custy ( a guy a i've known for years) that i was thinking about buying it. He still bought it. Go figure. Maybe i'll get lucky and he'll return it. Its a satin black std strat. Which would've worked fine. Even tho the original i did was on a red body. Or I can go get a pretty heavy in weight. Lotus strat copy at the pawn shop by me.
          Maybe i can talk him down to 50 bucks. Unless you guys have any ideas on an inexpesive solid way to fix this body i have. Keep in mind the trem posts have broken through. The wood wont hold the studs in place under the tension when tuned up to pitch. Help me.
          Gil
          I know a guy here who might be able to fix it. My Ibanez RGs wood around the trem post busted out pretty bad, and he fixed it perfectly... Too bad you aren't in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
            Here's another way to fix it ....
            http://www.dinosguitarworks.com/15.html
            Dino, is that you? :ROTF: cuz that's what I was gonna say!
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
              Dino, is that you? :ROTF: cuz that's what I was gonna say!
              Yep, it's me.
              Actually, what I posted may be a little overkill ... I dunno.
              JACKSONFREAK, can you post a good pic of the damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                Yep, it's me.
                Actually, what I posted may be a little overkill ... I dunno.
                JACKSONFREAK, can you post a good pic of the damage?
                Fine job, are you a trained as a machinist, by any chance? That's about how I tackle these type of challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                  Fine job, are you a trained as a machinist, by any chance? That's about how I tackle these type of challenges.
                  Thanks Cygnus.
                  And no ... I'm no machinist, but thanks for the compliment.

JACKSONFREAK, Again ... I'm not sure what the extent of your damage is, but another option may be this bracket ...
                  http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...-Tremolo-Parts

Comment

Cool i didnt even know those things exsisited. Thanks for the link Model1VH2.
                    The damage is the typical break through in the wood at eh posts. Although when i made the single coil rout bigger for a hum. I must've taken out too much wood. So the area got week. Thus the ending result. I think that bracket might work. As long as the rest of the wood stays solid.
                    I may give that a try. I can get it fiexed from my tech at work. But I dont know if i want to put 150 bucks into a repair on a guitar that cost me 150 to begin with. Im still deciding.
                    Gil

Comment

That bracket thing. The site says it's not a repplacement for the OFR.
                      Will this work with an OFR? cus thats what i have on my guitar.
                      The damage is pretty typical of a post breaking through the pup cavity.
                      Both stud holes are both cracked and crumbling. Epoxy wont hold it.
                      Gil

Comment

See my post above.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Well after about 10 days of obsessing over this repair. Among other things.
                          I finaly had an idea inspired by Model1VH2' post about that bracket.
                          I decided to walk around Home Depot gettin ideas. I was looking for something Similar to that bracket. Wondering around for about 20 minutes. It hit me. Washers. Since the piece that was in between the posts was cracked. I decided to pull it completely off and epoxy it back in place.
                          As I epoxy and clamp the center piece back in place. I fill the stud insert holes with epoxy one last time. Let it all harden for over an hour. (this is a 5 minute epoxy.) Since i had already sanded the excess epoxy off thetop of the fuitar near the post holes. It was ready for the washers. The post inserts are 3/8 of an inch so i got 3/8 wahsers. measured and marked and drilled new holes. I then inserted the post insertz into the wood. with a bit of minor hammering cus it was snug. Like it should be. slipped the washers over the inserts to check for hight etc. The spread epoxy around the inserts on the top of the guitar. Then slipped the washers over the inserts. Held them in place and even tapped them down to make sure they were snug agianst the body as far as they could go. Let it all harden and presto. I have repaired the trem post problems. I reintonated the saddles and all is great. The only other problem is the 6th string saddle intonation screw is stripped out in the head socket. So i had to tap it with a hammer and a screw driver to get it to move. I played it for quite a while and it seems to be holding perfectly. Stays in tune. And the tone of the guitar hasnt changed. So i gotta say thanks to every body who offered help and solutoins. But mostly to Model1VH2 for the inspiration to come up with this idea.
                          Pic of the repair.

Comment

Bump to say thanks for the help.

Comment

Very creative.
                              Glad it all worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X