Volume pot needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot needed?

With all of these questions coming up about scratchy pots, I thought of a question. If my volume pot is always on 10, is there any reason to keep it in the circuit? I'd probably replace it with an on/off switch. Does the volume pot affect the sound at all?
    Scott

But my volume pot is always on 11!

:-p

Seriously, though, what a mental idea. I love it.

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    With all of these questions coming up about scratchy pots, I thought of a question. If my volume pot is always on 10, is there any reason to keep it in the circuit? I'd probably replace it with an on/off switch. Does the volume pot affect the sound at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      The less parts you have in the signal path, generally the better. All of these parts could affect the sound because of their inherent characteristics (impedance, inductance, etc.) and if their contacts become dirty, intermittent, or otherwise defective. If you do not need a volume pot, or a tone pot, or a selector switch, by all means eliminate it.

Comment

+1
        I've always thought the same. There was a thread about it not too long ago. But from what I gathered, there is a Loud POP sound when you switch on/off. But I could be wrong.
        Sam

Comment

Dave "the snake"Sabo had a Blackhawk guitar set up like this.I have been toying with the same idea for new mutt.The pop thing I don't know about thats a good question.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

that's because Snake is a badass. lol

I actually saw an axe on hear that didnt have any controls, you needed to use a volume pedal to control it, I personally use my volume knob alot for my cleans, as well as my middle pickup, lots of people hate the middle pickup, but I love it for cleans
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

i've always removed my vol and tone. maybe cause i'm a sloppy player...all i know is that most guitars have the vol right under the bridge pickup or so close that when i play the bottom strings my pinky/ring finger on my picking hand tends to tap the knob and i had to keep making sure its up. like Figo89 said the volume pedal is the key to it all.

Comment

Newc's CS jackson doesn't have any controls.

I've toyed with the idea, but I actually use my volume control a lot.
                -Rick

Comment

Yes the pot does alter the sound. Even different values affect the tone. Without the pot you will probably have a very strong signal and a lot of highs. Might not be a bad thing depending on the application.

Comment

Working...
                  X