Emg 60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg 60?

OK, so following on from my other thread about scratchy pots on my WRMG, I'm also wondering about the quality of pickups and electrics in that guitar generally.

Although I don't have the issues some do with the HZs, they sound OK IMHO, I wonder if it might be worth an upgrade while I'm at replacing pots etc.

Does anyone have any experience with EMG 60s? I'm looking for something mostly suitable for metal rhythm work, and these sound - on paper - ideal tool for the job. I'm quite a fan of EMGs but maybe these would be a little more interesting than the usual 81 /85, and more suited to rhythm work?

Problem is, I'll have no opportunity to try them first, so was looking for the opinion of someone that has??

I've gotten the impression that most people use the 60 as a neck pickup, mainly for cleans. I think it may end up sounding shrill in the bridge position, but that's just a hypothesis on my part.

If you're looking for a pickup for metal rhythm, I'd say stick to the 85.

Comment

Thanks man. Yep, I've heard that about them. I guess the classic application is 60 at the neck and 85 at the bridge, as you suggest. I'd really like to try 60s in both positions, in the hope of getting a distinctive sound and cutting through a mix. But I *am* a little concerned it'll be too 'shrill' (good word). Would be great to hear from someone that's tried a 60 in the bridge.

Also, whatever I go for, I'm intending to swap out the (passive) HZs for (active) 60/85. As I already have the 'afterburner'/'turbocharger' fitted, which has its own battery, can I 'share' that battery for the pickups too? I'm sure I read somewhere that I can??

Comment

You can share the battery, but you will lose some tone in the process.
        The pickups will not get a solid 9v if you run the afterburner with them.
        Ever heard an EMG with a weak battery? That's what they will sound like.
        I would recommend using a separate battery just for the pickups.
        -Rick

Comment

I had a feeling that might be the case. I might just clip the afterburner out, since I never use it, and use the existing battery just for the pickups.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          You can share the battery, but you will lose some tone in the process.
          The pickups will not get a solid 9v if you run the afterburner with them.
          Ever heard an EMG with a weak battery? That's what they will sound like.
          I would recommend using a separate battery just for the pickups.

Comment

Go with 2 EMG 89.

Comment

I think the afterburner and the active pickups will work together just fine. You'd have to run the battery down pretty far before the output starts suffering.

But if you want to make sure you get enough voltage, you can wire 2 batteries in series for a total of 18 volts going into the system. You will not harm the pickups or the afterburner by doing this - they were built to withstand 27 volts. This also has the added benefit of giving you a "livelier" tone (more headroom; better dynamics).

Comment

i had a 60 in the neck of a bcrich bich, i liked it alot was a great pair with an 85 in the bridge.

Comment

All I use on all my guitars are 60's in the neck , and 81's in the bridge! Though i mostly use the 60 for cleans! For metal I don't think you can beat an 81 in the bridge! Note that I am more picky about my rythm tone than my solo tone! If your more of a solo player ya might like the 85 better in the bridge! But the 81 seperates the strings better, and sounds more crunchy in my opinion!!
                  I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                  X