Another scratchy pot question - WRMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another scratchy pot question - WRMG

I have an older-type WRMG (with HZs and afterburner) and it has a really scratchy volume pot - plus the sound now totally cuts out completely if you turn the volume full up (which is where is should be IMHO). You have to nudge it back a little for the sound to cut back in.

I've tried squirting Servisol Super 10 into it, and it's made no difference. Think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and replace that pot. Question is, what kind of pot is it, what should I be buying to replace it? I could take it out and look, but since this is my only guitar right now I don't wanna mess with it until I'm ready to fix it. I'm guessing someone here will know what pots are used on this guitar??

Thanks in advance,
    G.

OK, so I got bored and yanked the pot anyway. It's a bog standard A500k so I guess I just need to dig out the soldering iron...

Comment

All you need is a high quality audio grade 500k pot. They sell them in a good few places, I've heard good things about CTS pots. I've to get around to replacing the bits in my SL3 as its now out of action from worn pots.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I've found those CTS pots at various places online, and I'm about to order one (or two) - but - do I need a 'mini' one or a regular one?

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
        All you need is a high quality audio grade 500k pot. They sell them in a good few places, I've heard good things about CTS pots. I've to get around to replacing the bits in my SL3 as its now out of action from worn pots.

Comment

Originally posted by gregc View Post
          Thanks for the tip - I've found those CTS pots at various places online, and I'm about to order one (or two) - but - do I need a 'mini' one or a regular one?
          More importantly, check the shaft diameter. Many Jackson use the smaller diameter shaft pots, so if you get a pot with the larger shaft you will need to ream the pot holes on your guitar. Many JCFers have done this and it is not difficult, but is still a modification that you may not want to do.

Comment

True enough. Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
            More importantly, check the shaft diameter. Many Jackson use the smaller diameter shaft pots, so if you get a pot with the larger shaft you will need to ream the pot holes on your guitar. Many JCFers have done this and it is not difficult, but is still a modification that you may not want to do.

Comment

An RS Guitarworks super pot. (A hot rodded heavy duty custom made CTS pot) They are great. I have them in several guitars now, including their wiring kits.

I had to say it before Straycat gets here:ROTF:
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just had a quick look at their website. Sounds perfect, but shipping to the UK is USD 30-60, which seems mental for a 14 dollar part. :-(

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                An RS Guitarworks super pot. (A hot rodded heavy duty custom made CTS pot) They are great. I have them in several guitars now, including their wiring kits.

I had to say it before Straycat gets here:ROTF:

Comment

Aw crap. Yeah that's high. You should be able to find a CTS or something of high grade locally. Even the guy's that do vintage HiFi stereo's restorations should have a high grade like Switchcraft or Alpha.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Mini-pots are like what's on the Afterburner itself. You shouldn't need to go with a mini for the Volume, but then on some models Jackson routes a small cavity in the top for the pot to rest in.

The Halford is an older WRMG like yours (Afterburner) but I can't recall if it has the internal pot recess.

I put a push/pull pot in the Volume spot, which is a mini-style IIRC.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks man. I just ordered a CTS pot from a guy here in the UK, just have to get my soldering iron back from my Dad's and we're good to go!

Comment

Just soldered in the new pot. Haven't picked up a soldering iron in years so made a total dog's breakfast of it, very messy job! But, put it back together, plugged it in and it works perfectly. Not only is there scratch-free volume control, the whole sound of the guitar seems better - kinda 'bigger'. I'm sure the joints aren't the best, but job done!

I know this isn't very impressive, bloke does a bit of soldering, so what - but I'm pleased with myself! Tragic, ain't it?!

Comment

Working...
                        X