Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duncan distortion VS DiMarzio ToneZone

How would you compare those two.
    Have heard good and bad things about both,so cant decide.
    Thanx

Can't really comment too much on the ToneZone as I have never had one.

But I will say that the Duncan Distortion is my favorite rock/metal pickup ever. Lots of power and clarity, but not muddy. Good harmonics and works well with most guitars and amps.

The DC resistance on both is about the same (so they will both be hotter and darker compared to other pickups in their respective classes), but the big difference is that the Tone Zone has an Alnico 5 magnet. The TZ will have power and will push the amp, but it will be warmer and softer compared to a ceramic magnet. The ceramic magnet (in the Distortion) will have more power and will be more aggressive with better harmonics.

Check www.seymourduncan.com and www.dimarzio.com for more information.

Good luck!
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Comments you will receive will be very subjective. To me they sound quite a bit different. I prefer DD because it sounds more clear to me. Tone Zone has great bass and overall sound but to my taste (again highly subjective) it is a little too boomy. Also either pickup will react differently with different body/neck woods.........What type(s) of wood is your guitar made of?

Comment

i like the DD, but it ends up sounding sterile and lifeless to me in the mix. at least with an alder body. maybe it would sound different in basswood or mohagany.

what guitar are you looking to put this in?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

How about Duncan Distortion vs Super Distortion?
          "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Personally I like the Tone Zone better for that lil midrange oomph it has. Never played a SD. The name always turned me off for some reason.
            I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a Super D in my DK2, BADASS pickup, you can hear every individual note in a power chord now
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Super D rules!

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                  Can't really comment too much on the ToneZone as I have never had one.

But I will say that the Duncan Distortion is my favorite rock/metal pickup ever. Lots of power and clarity, but not muddy. Good harmonics and works well with most guitars and amps.

The DC resistance on both is about the same (so they will both be hotter and darker compared to other pickups in their respective classes), but the big difference is that the Tone Zone has an Alnico 5 magnet. The TZ will have power and will push the amp, but it will be warmer and softer compared to a ceramic magnet. The ceramic magnet (in the Distortion) will have more power and will be more aggressive with better harmonics.

Check www.seymourduncan.com and www.dimarzio.com for more information.

Good luck!
                  +1 on what was said about the Duncan Distortion.

If they have about the same DC Resistance, then I'd suspect a Tone Zone would be more like a JB because of the Alnico 5 magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

If they have about the same DC Resistance, then I'd suspect a Tone Zone would be more like a JB because of the Alnico 5 magnet?
                    IMHO Tone Zone has a lot more bass and midbass than JB does.

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                      I have a Super D in my DK2, BADASS pickup, you can hear every individual note in a power chord now
                      Can the Super Distortion get a metal sound like Ratt or Dokken or something from the 80s, or would the Duncan Distortion be a better choice?
                      "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

hell, pretty much all I play is Dokken and Ratt! jk...

lol, but really, with it I play lots of 80's stuff, Ratt, Dokken, VH, Enuff Z'Nuff, Ozzy, Cinderella, Extreme, it is just a good damn pup

and I guess something you would like to hear (no pun intended, with this thread being all about sound), I also jam out on Dio stuff frequently, and Priest.

when it comes to Dio it is either Holy Diver or Lock Up The Wolves, I LOVE LUTW, but lots of people hate it, why? I do not know...
                        Last edited by Frigo89; 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM.
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
                          Can the Super Distortion get a metal sound like Ratt or Dokken or something from the 80s, or would the Duncan Distortion be a better choice?
                          Well Robbin used the Duncan Distortion, as did Lynch in the early days. Warren used and still uses the JB. So you be the judge. Or better yet. Get one of each and see which you like better.
                          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                            i like the DD, but it ends up sounding sterile and lifeless to me in the mix. at least with an alder body. maybe it would sound different in basswood or mohagany.

what guitar are you looking to put this in?
                            I was going to install them in 650xl

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

That would have been my guess, but bear in mind Mr. Metal's comment about the mids. He has played the Tone Zone, so he is a far better judge.
                              Last edited by HiOctane; 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM.
                              GM,
                              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                              X