Soldering rig advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering rig advice needed

Now that I have my "New Shop":ROTF: , I want to start fixing a few guitars. I want a Weller Station but I don't want to OD. What do you leadheads use? Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

The Weller Station will work fine. Me personally though, I prefer a Metal reflow station as seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/METCAL-MX-500P-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Theyre AMAZING units, 5 second heatup time, and you hold the iron 1" away from the tip so theyre super accurate too. They usually bring some $$$ though. Ive got one and I wouldnt get rid of it for anything!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I use a cheap Radio Shack station for small stuff, a butane Weller for odd stuff and a Weller gun for medium to heavy duty soldering. Works for me.

I see soldering questions and tips all of the time, but when novices have problems soldering, I rarely see anyone recommending:

- Using the proper tip shape. If the tip is used, keep it properly shaped before each use!

- Cold cleaning the tip before turning the unit on. A soft wire brush or medium/coarse ScotchBrite/sandpaper works well.

- It helps to loosen and tighten the tip to unit connection(s) before turning it on. This re-establishes a good connection for heat transfer. Also, cleaning the tip and unit threads periodically with a small wire brush or a piece of coarse ScotchBrite will work too (small, soft wire brush is recommended). Having clean metal to metal connection(s) between the tip and pen/gun are essential to proper heat transfer.

- Lightly tin the tip once the unit is hot.

- Lightly tap the excess solder off of the tip after each solder point.

- If the unit sits hot for more than 30 seconds (or so) between solder points, wipe the tip on a wet natural sponge (wet paper towel or rag works in a pinch too!) and re-tin the tip before starting the next solder point.

This is in addition to the usual instructions, which I will not cover yet again. Proper setup of your gear prior to soldering will allow you to use your gear more effectively! It is all about heat transfer, and if your setup will transfer heat rapidly, your part will not get as hot, nor will it stay hot for as long afterward.

Just a few thoughts from the peanut gallery...

Comment

Read the tech sticy at the top of the Tech forum... I did a whole write up there a while back.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          Read the tech sticy at the top of the Tech forum... I did a whole write up there a while back.
          You sure as hell did. But which Weller Model? I already have a de-solderer. This shit scares me.
          Last edited by fett; 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Cool Rob! I am still digesting all kinds of threads here (lots of good old stuff to read!), and I always like to read tips to compare notes. Sometimes you even learn a new trick or two from someone who has a different approach to a problem/solution.

Good info is just that! Plus I do like to read a lot. I will work my way there too, eventually. After all, I am a Slacker and I have a rep to keep up.

Comment

They sell a Weller unit at Sears for $50... it has an adjustable powersupply with stand and sponge. That will do the trick. I had one a while back but lent it to someone who i cant remember and never got it back.

At the VERY minumum, you want a GOOD stand and a sponge to constantly clean the tip. An adjustable one is the way to go.

Comment

leadheads

that makes you a... uh... trailerhead and a ROTFhead :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                X