Floyd or Schaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd or Schaller

Having a guitar made. Is either better than the other?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I prefer the OFR, but the Schaller is excellent as well. I like the fact that the OFR is made of all hardened steel rather than softer cast metal with hardened inserts. Some say there is a tone difference. I've only A/B-ed them in one guitar, and to my ears the OFR is slightly brighter, but the difference unplugged doesn't amount to a big deal with distortion, imo. I've also heard some say they think the OFR sustains better. Maybe it makes sense in theory, but all I know is my 750XL (Schaller JT-590) hangs with any floyded guitar I've ever owned or played. So overall, I just give the OFR a slight nod. Another plus is that for some reason the OFR sells for quite a bit less. Not sure why. Maybe because they make more of them?

Comment

I prefer the Schaller. Less wood needs to be removed, it just looks alot cleaner. I like the thick baseplate hardedned inserts too. The Schaller is CHEAPER than the OFR, usually only by $10 but still.

If I ever go CS, Im getting a Schaller. Ive got 5 of them and love em!
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I generally prefer the OFR. But since the quality of new OFRs has been a topic lately, I would feel uncomfortable to recommend it. Rumor has it that some of them aren't made in Germany by Schaller anymore.

If you can find one that's stamped "Made in Germany" on the back of the baseplate, you should be safe.

The Schaller licensed Floyd is also an excellent unit. Some people prefer it over the OFR. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Gotoh licensed Floyd, but I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Comment

Kahler...

Comment

When I'm switching out tremolos, I personally have preferences depending on the route for the tremolo.

If the tremolo is top-mounted I prefer the OFR.
            If it is recessed, I go with a Schaller.

Not really sure if I have any real rhyme or reason for it, it's just how I roll.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Edge Pro...

Replaceable knife edges rule!
              Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
              Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
              Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                The Schaller is CHEAPER than the OFR, usually only by $10 but still.

You're right. I only ever compared the high Allparts or Stewmac Schaller prices ($225-ish) to my usual street price for an OFR (usually under $170), so it wasn't a fair comparison. Warmoth sells both, & the Schaller is less than the OFR.

Comment

I think you're going to see a 50/50 split between our JCF'ers...........OFR and Schaller are both high quality products........ I personally prefer the OFR, the way it works -AND- the way it looks with the longer string lock bolts..........But I'm sure many will prefer the Schaller too..........

Comment

I have found that the Schaller is more comfortable if you're doing a lot of palm muting.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      I've also heard some say they think the OFR sustains better.
                      I would have to agree with that. I'm sure there are other factors involved (scale length, body wood, neck/body joint, type of pickups etc...) but I've noticed a big difference in sustain between my OFR and Schaller equipped guitars.

Comment

To me you're comparing apples to apples. I have OFR and Schallers and I like them both.

I agree with Ron that my Schallers are more comfortable for palm muting, but I'm sure both of them being recessed has some help with that too whereas my OFR is a top mount.

Made in Germany OFR's can be scored on eBay for $115 (or under) every once in a blue moon, but you have to keep a good watch out for them. I know for a fact that some of our JCF sponsoring dealers have very good prices on new OFR's.

Good luck, but like Mr Metal said, I think you'll find the split 50/50 between us JCF'ers.

Comment

OFR ,the schaller is a good 2nd choice.

Comment

.... isn't the schaller a "licensed under" floyd rose type bridge? unless you mean kahler...
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                              .... isn't the schaller a "licensed under" floyd rose type bridge? unless you mean kahler...
                              Any Floyd-type trem that isn't an original FR product, will be "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents".

Comment

Working...
                              X