What body did I just get???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What body did I just get???

Ok, I snagged this beauty off of eBay for $100 a couple weeks ago, and she just got here today.

Now, yeah... PC3 right? Thats what I thought too! But NOPE. Its a 22 fret body, and it also has the older style single coil routs! 1/8" quilt maple top and Mahogony back. Until my camera charges, thats the best pic I have. In the neck pocket, its marked:

NAT (natural finish)
    4-1
    TRD

I have no idea what the TDR stands for... I know usually the letters mean the model. Possibly a Japan only? I have no idea.

So what the hell is this? Any ideas? I spent the last hour scouring the catalogs, only to come up empty. Im actually happy its 22 fret because the 475 Deluxe neck will bolt right on, dont have to cut yet ANOTHER one down! :ROTF:

Going to laminate the headstock with quilt maple to match... Ive got one that matches the grain almost perfectly. Should turn out to be a great looking and sounding axe! I just wanna know what it is.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Didn't the PC3 have a wilkinson trem? ie no swimming pool route. Smells like it's not a JC to me. Could it be a warmoth or something?

Anyhow, it looks cool. Just slap on a neck and some hardware and you'll have a real beauty. I vote gold hardware!
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Older PC3 had the Wilkinson... new ones had the JT-580LP.
      That is not a PC3 body as the single coil routes are wrong and the top on a PC3 is paper thin.

Looks like it could be a 2002 Charvel Traditional (22 fret guitar) body.
      But those were supposed to have Alder bodies.
      The Model A had the Mahogany body.

Edit: Here is the only pic I could find of the Traditional.
      Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM.
      -Rick

Comment

The later PC3's had JT580LP.

Looking it over more, its got the EXACT same body routs as all my J/C's... and the neck pocket stampings are exactly the same. But heres the kicker... Its a BIT smaller than a dinky, and the lower horn is shaped a bit differently as well, the lower horn isnt as thick.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Looks like a Charvel Traditional.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...el-Models.html
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

THATS IT! Thinner lower horn and all! That would explain the TRD too!

Thanks ALOT guys! Its a great looking body, cant wait to use it!

See n00bs and haters, thats why this site ROCKS.

Im guessing these are MIJ?

Comment

Yep... MIJ.
              Nice guitars too... very well made.
              -Rick

Comment

This is the first Ive ever heard of this model. I always wanted a trans-blue A+ but this will do just fine.

Now to get working on the neck. I just remembered I even have a black Charvel waterslide decal laying around too. Gonna stay with black hardware on this one... I think itll contrast the natural coloring nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  Looks like it could be a 2002 Charvel Traditional (22 fret guitar) body.
                  But those were supposed to have Alder bodies.
                  The Model A had the Mahogany body.
                  That is kinda strange if his has a mahogany body.

Indeed the Model A was mahogany (and the Model A Plus K was koa), but they also have 24-fret necks and not 22 like the Traditional.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup, definetly mahogony.

Comment

Won't be the first time specs got changed in the production process.
                      -Rick

Comment

Here are a few pics. Dont mind the white spots on the face, Im filling a few dings before wetsanding and buffing.

Comment

NICE TOP!
                          That's almost as good as the top on my PC1.
                          -Rick

Comment

Thanks man, I couldnt believe how nice the top was when it got here. Id say its easily a AAA or AAAA top.

I had a hard time finding a piece with that tight of figuring out of my veneer stash, but I got one thats almost a dead ringer.

Comment

Definitely a Traditional, and definitely Mahogany. Interesting.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X