Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonable $$$ for floyd nut reshelving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable $$$ for floyd nut reshelving?

In your experiences what's a reasonable price for have a floyd nut lowered
    (in this case there are no shims so some wood work would have to be done)

also what's a reasonable price for having the trem studs taken out and new ones put in? Also requires some woodwork.

Thanks,

Those are do it yourself things.Whats wrong with the trem studs that are in there?If you are replacing a JT-6 for an OFR the JT-6 posts will work fine.
    A block of wood and sand paper will lower the shelf just fine.Sand and keep dry fitting until its the correct height.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah lowering the existing shelf takes 10 minutes with some sand paper. The studs are a lot more annoying to change but it's still pretty easy to do

Comment

A few years ago a local hardware shop charged me $10 to shave down about 2mm off a floyd-rose nut that was too high. Less expensive to change/fix than the neck (or entire guitar) if you screw it up.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Thanks!! you've inspired me to try it my self, at least the nut part, because if I sand to much I can alway add shims.

straycat, when I took off the trem, I found the "inserts" had a lot of play inside the mounting studs:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...Rose_Parts.pdf

I got a PS4 with the JT500 and as I intend to go crazy with it, I know I might replace it with a Schaller some time soon, so I thought I would get the studs replaced now with the nut work.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            The studs are a lot more annoying to change but it's still pretty easy to do
            Is there currently any how-tos online??? You have to drill a wider hole, glue in a piece of dowl and then drill the right size hole right?

Thanks

Comment

That's pretty much it. I don't know about any online how-to's I've never looked for one.

Comment

studs = mounting posts for the bridge? You just un-screw them from the bushings that are glued in the wood.

Best way i found to remove those, is to use the "nail puller" tip of a hammer: put a cloth around the mounting post while it's in the bushing (so you won't chip off the finish) and a piece of wood between the hammer and the guitar body, and just pull it out like if it was a nail.

If you have trouble making the right size holes for the new ones, just make slightly bigger ones, patch them with fiberglass resin, and drill new holes of the right size in the fiberglass.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

^ just reading my above post, i find it disturbing to have "stud", "mount", "screw", and "wood" in the same sentence -well, same line

Comment

Working...
                  X