Wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question

I replaced the bridge pup in my 3a with a Dimarzio. I copied a chart so the color codes match up and I just swapped the appropriate wire for wire. All five positions are correct but I lost the hum cancel in pos 2 and 4. Any ideas?
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

If pos 2 and 4 were hum cancelling with the original pickup, then there is only one possible answer; that you mixed the wires up in some manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      If pos 2 and 4 were hum cancelling with the original pickup, then there is only one possible answer; that you mixed the wires up in some manner.

Brilliant!

Do they also sound out of phase? You could have ended up in series rather than parallel somehow. Let me know what you find. I'm having a similar issue with a dual HB setup, one of which is coil tapped. It won't buck hum in either postion.

Comment

Nothing out of phase, sounds great clean but no hum cancel.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I guess I would take a meter and trace the negative and grounds, then.

Comment

Any Jackson 5 way diagrams out there? It's kinda unique.

Comment

Here is one I have used. http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/E.pdf
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Thanks but I need a diagram for the Jackson switch, can't find one.

Comment

Bottom right of this page has a diagram:

http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/J.../target11.html

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Still clueless, guess I'll get another super 5 way.

Comment

OK, I'm still stumped. I checked several resources for color codes and I matched up the Dimarzio with the Jackson like so: Red/Green, White/Red, Black/White, Green/Black. Pos 1,3,5 worked fine with no phasing, 2 and 4 sounded fine but hummed. I replaced the switch and the problem remained. I put a Dimarzio in the neck and now 2 and 4 have no hum like it should. I noticed that on the back of the Jackson pups was a '3A' sticker, unless the color code info out there is wrong then they must have done something special with the 3a pups. Anybody try mixing Dimarzios with 3a pups before?

Comment

Working...
                        X