Clear coat yellowing?! WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat yellowing?! WTF

Alright. So what the hell is this? I stripped a charvel neck, painted it white, applied the decal, and began clear coating. I decided to use enamels: enamel primer, enamel paint, enamel clear gloss.

First few coats went on great, I applied a light mist every hour sanding lightly with 1200 grit sandpaper inbetween coats. I did a total of 7 coats I'd say... Then I came back to spray the next coat and the damn clear had a yellow tinge to it! >8( like one of those aged white strats. This is NOT what I want.

Can anybody tell me what this is? Should I just sand down to the paint and try again? Is it something to do with solvents getting trapped under layers of clearcoat? Has the actual paintjob been discoloured or is it just shitty clear?

I want to use enamel - not some other type of clearcoat.

Thanks everyone, this is driving me nuts.

-Was it a humid day when you shot the clear? I personally like it to be cool and low humidity. Humidity usually causes clouding but maybe the clear you used turned yellow/amber.
    -Are you sure that you were using crystal clear and not accidently using a tinted clear?
    -Was it the same manufacturer for the paint and clear?
    -Shoot it from a gun or can?

Now maybe you can help me.... where did you get your decal?
    Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Grumpy: http://www.best-decals.com/index.php...&cPath=2_19_16
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Yeah that's the website!
        I live in new zealand and it got here in a week flat. Great stuff.

Yup it's clear gloss enamel. By dulux. Called 'spraykote'. I think it's wonderful. Comes in aerosol can form. The thing is, the clear was great originally. crystal clear.

uh oh..

hang on now, i masked it off it the morning. Sprayed throughout the day leaving it outside to dry (not in the sun). Crystal clear, no worries. This carried on into the night (which was cold!) and I continued to leave it outside.

I feel like a fool now, is this the big mistake?

Comment

was it because I let it dry in complete darkness?? (during the night)

Comment

The cooler temps may have done it,which can easily be buffed out to a hi gloss.
            The more coats applied the more likely the tint will change,just like laying down to many Candy coats over silver base tends to darken the final result.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
              The cooler temps may have done it,which can easily be buffed out to a hi gloss.
              The more coats applied the more likely the tint will change,just like laying down to many Candy coats over silver base tends to darken the final result.
              +1 on the multiple coats therory. Let it sit for a while and harden up, wet sand/buff and see what it looks like.

*Also thanks for the link!
              Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

*Also thanks for the link!
                +1, they have some cool decals there
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

"i like how Yngwie puts Yngwie J. Malmsteen on his records...just to distringuish himself from all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there!" classic!
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

It could also just be that the clear has a natural yellowish tint to it. Especially being an enamel. Usually crystal clear, clear coats are labeled as water white clear coats. That indicates that it will not yellow at all. A lot of clears though are not water white and do yellow from a minor degree to very noticable. Polyurethane is a great example.

Comment

Working...
                    X