Let's talk picks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk picks...

I used Fender Mediums for the longest time, mainly because I read somewhere that Randy Rhoads used them. Lately, I've been experimenting with Dunlop .96's, 1.5's, and 1.33 sharp. Is it just me or are the really thick picks much more suited to shred techniques (sweeps, quick alternate picking, etc...), especially the sharp ones? It seems odd because I would think the thicker picks would create more drag. What do you guys use, and why?

Re: Let\'s talk picks...

I use Jim Dunlop 3.0mm Stubbies. Since switching to them, I've tried to use regular Fender-style picks again but just find they drag too much. Even when I've tried 2.0mm Fender-style picks. I like the feel of the thicker pick (hence the 3.0mm) and the sharp tip of the Stubby just flies off the string compared to a conventional pick.

But take all of the above with a grain of salt. I'm nowhere near a shredder. My playing is more like a bad old Jimmy Page 45 played at 33rpm. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I mainly use the purple Dunlop Gator Grip .96 or the see-through red Dunlop Gel Heavy (I think they're around .96, too). I used to use their regular blue Tortex 1.0, but I like the slightly thinner .96 better. A friend uses the green Tortex .88, and that's as thin as I can go. I hate thinner picks, as I don't seem to have as much control and the picks seem to flop around on me.

[ December 01, 2002, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use the Dunlop 1.5's and sharpen them to a point myself. I find the factory pointy picks don’t quite do it. It really adds attack to your tone.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Dunlop H3 only, they shred...

[ December 02, 2002, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Personally I use the red Dunlop Jazz III picks. Perfectly smooth surface helps control the pick attack sound, small pick (I find it hard to use the bigger picks like the Tortex these days), and a nice pointy end. I get the most control using this pick, or maybe a black Jazz III.

Comment

Dunlop purple tortex, just like cleveland metal. i find thicker picks sound better. plus thin picks don't last long, i kill them
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Dunlop Nylon 0.88mm (the gray ones)

Comment

Another Dunlop Jazz III user here!

I like the smaller, pointer picks. They do move faster over the strings, and your motions have to be more precise. I can't stand dull pointed picks anymore.

I also have a tendancy to wear the points off of them! I have one pick I have been using for a few months, and the tip is almost flat.

Good thing they are cheap!

Comment

Dunlop 2.0mm

Comment

nah, its quite the opposite with thinner picks..they have the more drag because they're much more flexible, and it takes more energy to bend the pick enough so that it goes over the string..with stiffer picks this is eliminated, and allows you to pick rapidly very fast, and without much hand movement...just watch yngwie live, you only notice a slight vibration in his hand when he's shredding..all you need to move, really, is your thumb and index finger with a bit of push from the wrist..

i use yngwie's 1.5 mm picks...really, any 1.5 mm pick will do...i used those tortex jazz III style picks, but found them really uncomfortable while playing bluesy stuff
                      cheers

Comment

Gibson Heavy picks and tortex 1.5mm most of the time.. I use metal picks if I want a brighter and harsher sound, I also like the lead tone I get from using them. Wears the **** out of the strings though so I use it minimally.

Comment

Interesting! I've been using Dunlop .88s and .73s for years! I'll have to experiment with thicker ones....

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

dunlop jazz III (the black ones) or dunlop tortex 1.5s....sometimes the small jazz III just feels to small...and i can't play a million miles an hour anyway, so either usually works for me.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use pretty much whatever I find! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] As long as it isn't too thin, I can use about anything... For awhile I used the copper and stainless steel picks, but I tore my strings up pretty quickly. Sure did get a cool tone with em tho.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X