No announcement yet.

Can someone explain "the vintage trem"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain "the vintage trem"?

I have never used this trem and I don't know how it works... Advantages? Disadvantages? Tuning stability? Sustain properties? Can it pull up? Would Sperzels help it's use? etc etc... need info on it.

here is the bridge I'm interested in:

Not too good, my opinion. I usually just block them off and remove the handle.
    No pull, needs modification usually to stay in tune, Sperzels wouldn't make a difference to the trem.
    These are one of the reasons the floating trem was invented.

Comment

Isn't that just a V trem? Call me stupid, but that is just a slight change kinda thing. You can't do much with it but go up or down a pitch.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Looks pretty cool, but you'd have to be "old skool" to the bone to pass over a Floyd for one of those

Comment

Let me get this straight. That is a way cool guitar. So what you are saying is that he can not dive bomb or play soprano. Just how many times do you guys really use a Floyd? Me. I don't. I just know that they sell well. I'm getting drunk now.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

A vintage trem has its limitations and no up pull.Its OK for slight changes but can be tweaked to perform better.The main thing to make sure the nut is cut right and polished in the string grooves so the strings move freely during trem use.The tuners are fine I wouldn't change them.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So, are you all saying I got it right this time?
              Huh. I'm really not as dumb as I look, then, I guess.

Comment

The Floyd is a superior bridge in every measurable way. It's those immeasurable qualities that some feel the vintage stuff have in abundance. It's a "mojo" kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  A vintage trem has its limitations and no up pull.Its OK for slight changes but can be tweaked to perform better.The main thing to make sure the nut is cut right and polished in the string grooves so the strings move freely during trem use.The tuners are fine I wouldn't change them.

how can I change and upgrade its performance without ruining the looks of the guitar?

Comment

Fender recommends to tighten the two outer screws, loosen the other four a little bit, the trem will stay in tune a little better. Though, on a Jackson style headstock that doesn't have straight string pull to the tuners, you may run into a tiny bit of tuning instability. Locking tuners like Sperzels will definitely help.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have played guitars with V trems that stay in tune somewhat well, but I will always push it too much and knock it out of tune regardless. V-trems are just not for me.

The V-trem does have one significant advantage over the Floyd: Ease of tuning and ease of string changing. While some will claim they can change strings on a Floyd and tune up in two minutes flat, it will still be quicker and a lot less complicated to do with a non-locking bridge.

The only other advantages I can think of that the v-trem may have over the Floyd, is a chunkier tone - and possibly better sustain (debatable).

If you only use the trem arm for soft to moderate vibrato, the v-trem will do just fine. If you like to wild with it - go with an OFR.

Comment

The V-Trem (NOS Bridge) is a sustain and tone monster,I have one on my Charvel.I really never use bars so I just use it like my Strats. Yeah it will easily go out of tune when using the bar.No allen wrenches required,easily change strings.Im sure it stays in tune much better with locking tuners.
                        Its a Charvel exclusive bridge(solid brass)looks great when matched with Gold HDWR like mine,like RR's. Floyds are great trems,but you can get a Floyd on most any brand guitar,as far as the NOS bridge. .when you see one its on a Charvel. The pointed headstock and Brass V-Trem are Charvel trademarks.
                        Good enough for RR and good enough for me.
                        Last edited by ADR; 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM.
                        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I agree that locking tuners will definitely help, plus a little graphite lube in the nut slots will do wonders too. I really don't buy into the whole "more sustain" thing though. If V trems were great, Floyd Rose would have been broke a long time ago!
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

why do you guys think Randy Rhoads prefered the Vintage Trem over all the other trems at that time? I know floyd roses where not an option at that time...

Comment

Dan Erliwine's books have a section on what to do to a V trem to make them better.I adopted Dan's technique and have had made many people very happy with their V trems.One thing graphtech saddles will darken the tone of a strat but seem to work fine if you lean more toward metal.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X