Hardware cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware cleanup

I want to cleanup all the old grody hardware on my JPB7. But after taking it off im not really too sure how to go about that. Is there something I can safely soak the bridge in or some (preferably) household product to clean it up?
    What about tuners? Dont some of them need oil and if so how would I go about this?
    Whats a good fretboard cleaner and are there any good household ones?

Also I have reason to believe that the switches (I believe they are called pots) need to be either cleaned or changed. What kind of pots does my bass have? How would I go about cleaning them/replacing them (or should I even try?)
    Basically im trying to take a rather old bass that I dont play too much but absolutely love and clean it up and make it look nice again.

Thanks for any help/suggestions any one has in any of the manners I spoke of.

Your post response would look like a book. I suggest Dan Erlewine's book, "The Guitar Player Repair Guide" available on www.amazon.com, www.stewmac.com or any good book store. I recommend this as a mandatory "bible" type book every guitarist should have in his/her library. All those topics are covered in great detail. Best wishes.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

There's also a good thread that is a sticky in the Tech section of this forum.
      Scott

Comment

I ordered that book as soon as I got the post. Thanks for the link to the page. Im looking forward to cleaning up an old bass and trying to make it look beautiful again.

Comment

Originally posted by dereksilloway View Post
          I ordered that book as soon as I got the post. Thanks for the link to the page. Im looking forward to cleaning up an old bass and trying to make it look beautiful again.
          You will love the book. I have referred to it since I bought the first edition in 1990! If you decide to start building guitars down the road, Dan's DVD's are excellent and funny and humorous at the same time. Excellent instruction.

Get ready and get some Naptha (lighter fluid) and some WD-40 or rust preventative lubricant. You can start soaking your hardware in it and cleanup the parts with an old toothbrush. The Naptha works well on necks, fretboards and bodies and will not harm the finish. It will prep you wood parts for polishing.

The best cleaner and polish I have found, especially for Nitro finished guitars is called Virtuoso Cleaner and a seperate material, "Virtuoso Polish". This is the best stuff for removing organic compounds from an instrument I have ever used. With Poly finished guitars, you can use, automotive products if you stay away from those that contain silicone. Virtuoso is available at Guitar Center's or on-line.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Ill get on to soaking them until the book arrives.
            I know that this stuff should kind of go in technical but Im kinda trying to keep the bass forum active but is there any way to remove old paint without removing the original? I bought this used and someone painted over the white Jackson logo and the JPB7 logo on the truss rod with some kind of flat paint. You cant notice it in most like but at the right angle it all looks horrible. Is there anything that I could use to achieve this?

Comment

If it's acrylic lacquer (auto spray paint) or Krylon type over poly you will be able to remove it with lacquer thinner. Then, in this case you can wet sand with 600-800 grit paper to remove the residue. Then polish. Dan has the instructions in the book for polishing. If It's anything else as far as paint goes, like poly on lacquer or lacquer over lacquer, it's going to have to be only sanding. It can be done, but will be very time consuming. Fett just did one not long ago. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I guess ill just wait til the book comes. Maybe ill post some before and after picks of the bass.

Comment

Working...
                X