Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious difference in feel between 25" and 25.5" scales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious difference in feel between 25" and 25.5" scales?

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning on buying a Carvin but I'm sort of concerned about the scale length. I've been a 25.5" player my whole life, only ever really playing other people's 24.75" scales for fun once in a while. I'm not worried about noticing a difference a far as the distance between frets, but I am worried about losing significant string tension using the same gauge strings... I currently use 11-49s in standard D tuning. Will increasing to 12's give me the tension I'm used to or will it be overkill? I really like the crispness and clarity of playing with fairly tight strings, but I don't want to be using huge thick steel cables for strings just to keep my familiar tension...

The difference is not that much IMO. To me 10's on my 24.75 guitar feel more tense than 9's on my 25.5 guitar. I guess I could calculate the difference but I'm way too lazy for that.

Comment

Hi DumpyWumpy,
      I would agree with thetroy as I feel the strings need to go up one gauge when moving from a 25.5 to a 24.75.

Comment

In my experience, not much difference in string tension, but just enough diff. in fret distance when playing up the neck to be slightly annoying.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

25" is closer to 24.75" in scale length than it is to 25.5". So, if you do not like 24.75" necks, you should definitely try to play a Carvin before you order or buy one it. I myself like it a lot

Comment

i have 11's on my 24 5/8" scale, & 10's on 25 1/2". if anything the G is a little stiffer on the 11's, otherwise not much difference. & with those 2 scale differences, i do find myself having to adjust to the higher frets.

& yes 24 5/8" not 24 3/4".... bcrich neckthrus were 24 5/8" back in the day, dont know if they still are

Comment

Serious difference in feel between 25" and 25.5" scales?

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
              25" is closer to 24.75" in scale length than it is to 25.5". So, if you do not like 24.75" necks, you should definitely try to play a Carvin before you order or buy one it. I myself like it a lot
              That's really sound advice- try before you buy.

Another thing to consider is the type of bridge you use. A locking trem will feel much slinkier. However, a string-thru-body set-up with a tunamatic bridge will provide much more tension on any scale length.
              GM,
              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Does Carvin even have any distributors that would offer an opportunity to try them out first?
                I always thought Carvin was strictly a mail order company.
                I guess it's possible there's just no distributors in my area ... I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                  That's really sound advice- try before you buy.

Another thing to consider is the type of bridge you use. A locking trem will feel much slinkier. However, a string-thru-body set-up with a tunamatic bridge will provide much more tension on any scale length.
                  Very true!

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                    Does Carvin even have any distributors that would offer an opportunity to try them out first?
                    I always thought Carvin was strictly a mail order company.
                    I guess it's possible there's just no distributors in my area ... I dunno.
                    Carvin has factory owned stores in California only............

Comment

PRS uses 25" scale

Comment

How much tension do you really have when you tune a whole step down.

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                          Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                          Very true!
                          Meh? IMHO, it feels like just the opposite to me - my Floyd'd guitars always feel "tighter" than my TOMs. i.e., It takes more effort to do string bends on a Floyd'd guitar. So string "tension" always feels looser on non-Floyd guitars to me.

And, to be technical, there's no more string "tension" on either - it takes the same amount of tension to tune a given string to the same pitch, regardless of bridge type. However, there is less "give" on a Floyd'd guitar, as the strings are locked at the bridge and nut. So the only area of the the string that can move when bending is the length between the bridge & locking nut. Whereas a TOM's strings are "locked" (sort of) at the bridge and tuner. So you have that extra amount of string length behind the nut to "flex" when bending on a TOM (or any non-locking set-up, for that matter). Sure, the Floyd will "flex" somewhat at the bridge by the back springs giving way a little. But, unless you've got a loose spring set-up, its not the same.

Comment

I don't really feel much difference going from my Strat to my Les Paul to my Carvin. I like all three scale lengths.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^ Agreed, except 62.9mm (24.75") is just a little bit too short for me when playing on the higher frets.

Now bass scale, that's something else.... as is violin
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X