How do I reseat trem post holders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I reseat trem post holders?

Okay, I've made a not-so-great discovery about my new (used) Fusion. The holders for both trem posts are totally loose and will pull right out or spin freely. I suspect that a previous owner might have tightened the posts down so hard that the holders started spinning freely. In fact, I can't raise or lower either of them because of this.

So what's the solution? Elmer's Glue? Plastic wood?

Help!

[img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: How do I reseat trem post holders?

I'd go with the Elmer's glue if all they do is spin and don't wobble.

Also, I know that newer OFR inserts are bigger than the recent Jackson inserts by just a hair, so you may be able to drive a pair of those in there instead (never hurts to upgrade the posts anyway).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, Newc. They don't have any wobble, so I'll go with Elmer's.
      [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If you're feeling REAL cheap, just put some damn chewing gum in there.

Comment

Or wrap the inserts in some very thin tape (teflon tape, Scoth tape), or tear a skinny strip of paper (printer paper) about half as wide as the hole and long enough to wrap under the insert to come halfway up either side of it, lay it over the hole, and push the insert in [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Or if you plan to sell it to someone you really don't like, shoot a wad into the holes [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Put a little sushi in there for good measure too. And a dead mouse in the control cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
              Or if you plan to sell it to someone you really don't like, shoot a wad into the holes [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">note to self: NEVER take a project guitar off of newc's hands! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Now Sully, I wouldn't do that to you - but just to be safe, if you DO buy any projects, check the chain-of-ownership first [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

Newc
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't work....
                  [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Tell me if this is bad advice, but in the furniture business, we would use elmers wood glue and stick a couple of wooden toothpicks around the perimeter of a hole if it needed snugging up. Might not be so easy to hide that on the top of a guitar though. Prolly depends on how wallowed out it is.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30:
                      Tell me if this is bad advice, but in the furniture business, we would use elmers wood glue and stick a couple of wooden toothpicks around the perimeter of a hole if it needed snugging up. Might not be so easy to hide that on the top of a guitar though. Prolly depends on how wallowed out it is.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard of this trick, but it's usually suggested for tightening something that's threaded and is screwed in directly. These are the inserts and they push in directly.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
                      [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had this happen on a couple of my guitars. You have to use 2 part epoxy, no way around it. The stuff that takes 24 hours to set. After that, solid as a ROCK. Just make sure they are in there exactly how you want them before it sets because after the epoxy hardens you aren't getting them out again.

Comment

I bot a complete Floyd with posts, I am going to try Loctite Epoxy dough. You knead it and then apply. It seems a lot less messy and easy to plaster. I'll let you know what happens.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Don't let that stuff get in the threads of the posts or you will really be screwed.
                            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Yes that is a very good point that I forot to mention. I put toilet paper inside of the post holders when I was reseating mine in epoxy so the stuff wouldn't get on the threads becasue like jacksonaxes said, you'd be screwed. Because if you didn't have something in there and the epoxy got into the threads you not only probably couldn't get the posts to screw in, you also couldn't get the holders out without sawing around them and taking some wood out too!

Comment

Working...
                              X