Pickup install issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup install issues

So I finally bought some new pickups for my Warrior...and decided I would try to install them myself. I followed the wiring guide off of the Seymour Duncan website (1 vol, 1 tone), and it looks like I soldered everything correctly...

Now here is my problem. When I go to plug in the guitar, there is very little to no sound. I have to switch my amp to its OD2 channel to hear anything, and that isnt very much.

Anyone know what I could have done wrong?

Sounds like a bad connection. A cold solder joint or a loos ground wire.
    check all the connections again and resolder if needed. Just to make sure.
    Gil

Comment

Try connecting each pickup direcly to the output jack, see if you get any signal (you probably will)

I like to have loose leads on each pin of the components so i can just twist them together to test out different wirings, that way no need to re-solder each time
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

so i fixed the problem by completely rewiring the pickups. now i just have to fix the insane buzz i get...my guess is a grounding issue

Comment

Could be the hot and ground are switched on the jack. Or the pot. If you disconnected them. All the pots should be grounded to each other, and top the switch. And to the ground of the jack. Then to the clay from the volume pot. So it grounds out when you touch the strings. If the buzz is exsessive still. Start over with new wires for all grounds. And see if that helps.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
            Could be the hot and ground are switched on the jack. Or the pot. If you disconnected them. All the pots should be grounded to each other, and top the switch. And to the ground of the jack. Then to the clay from the volume pot. So it grounds out when you touch the strings. If the buzz is exsessive still. Start over with new wires for all grounds. And see if that helps.
            Gil
            Swapped hot and ground wires on one of the pickups will create a bad buzz too. Also make sure that the ground wire from the trem spring claw is securely soldered!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              Could be the hot and ground are switched on the jack.

That was the problem. Switched the wires, and now everything works fine

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                Swapped hot and ground wires on one of the pickups will create a bad buzz too.
                No it wont. It will just make the pickup out of phase with the other one.
                Gil

BTW Wylde glad ya got it fixed. glad i could help

Comment

Working...
                X