EMG questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG questions

I bought an EMG 85 to try in my Model 6. My questions are regarding pots and capacitors for EMG PUP's, I know EMG uses 25K pots, the guitar currently has a 250K volume pot (with EMG SA/SA/81 set). What effect would the 250K vs. 25K pot have on tone? My other question is regarding the tone capacitor, I bought new 25K pots and wanted to start with the recommended cap since what's been done on the guitar to date looks a little "backyard".

Thanks

The effect of using the correct pots is that you will have better control over tone and volume. With the 250K pots, it will seem like they have no effect until you get down to 1. I think you want a .5uf cap, but I'm not 100% sure and i don't have and EMG loaded axe in front of me at the moment. Go to their website -they probably have schematics.

Comment

Thanks Don. I had reviewed their scematics, the shown where the cap goes in the scematic, but not it's value. I'll check their parts list...

Comment

The 250k pot would also give you more output, since less of the signal bleeds off to ground.

Comment

I just got a guitar w/ emgs ans it has the original 500k pots (volume/tone). I must admit, I am getting some good tone but it's very noisey. I just ordered from allparts.com two 25k pots. Also, the cap are .1uf which I also got from them. It all cost me $17 shippped to my door.
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            The 250k pot would also give you more output, since less of the signal bleeds off to ground.
            so if a 250k puts more out what happens when you use nothing for volume control? i just got an EMG81 and normally i just use passive pickup and run it straight out or to a toggle then out. i control my vol with my pedal board.

Comment

Ok, well I switched out my 500k pots for the 25k ones and well, things sound more 'dull' than with the 500's in them. I've not had a chance to try my guitar from my 'gigging' rig but from my little practice amp, well, I almost wish I kept in the 500's. I still have a loud HUMMMM, not a BUZZZZ grounding hum so I'm not sure what I'm missing. These things should be absolutely quiet, right?

thanks and sorry about the thread-hijack.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
              X