Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices?

The recent thread about Floyd nut selection got me thinking again about something that has bothered me for a while...

When will Floyd Rose get it together and make bridges and nuts that are properly radiused to match the specs. of the guitar manufacturers that frequently install them?

Let's face it, Floyds typically go on metal guitars, and these either have a radius flatter than 10' and/or feature a compound radius (10-14, 12-16, etc.), none of which match very well with a straight 10' radius bridge and nut.

The only comparable bridge available (that I am aware of) is the Schaller Floyd (14") which is not directly compatible with a Floyd. In other words, you can't just change it out because at the very least the routs will be different.

Why haven't they offered this yet to make their bridges work better and the guitars they are on to play better and be easier to set up?

It seems almost like a no-brainer, but it's never happened? I even e-mailed them about it a month ago and they didn't bother to reply.

Maybe I missed something along the way regarding this topic?
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

the original ibanez edge & JT-6 are slightly flatter than an OFR. & yes i agree they should make floyds & nuts with a flatter radius

Comment

I think Floyd needs to offer height adjustable saddles so I can tweak it to match the radius of my neck.
      As for the 10" radius nut thing, I agree, they do need to offer at least a 12" radius option.
      -Rick

Comment

So, for example, does Charvel Jackson Custom Shop shim the saddles on an OFR to make it work better with the 12~16" compound radius neck? If they simply use the 10" OFR as is, then the two E strings will almost touch the fingerboard where D and G strings will have really high action ....................
        Last edited by Mr Metal; 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
          If they simply use the 10" OFR as is, then the two E strings will have really high action where D and G strings will almost touch the fingerboard....................
          other way around. The radius of the trem is greater than that of the board, so the Es will be closer to the board than the D & G.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            other way around. The radius of the trem is greater than that of the board, so the Es will be closer to the board than the D & G.
            Yes, you're correct....Sorry......I will edit my post now.....But my question still stands....Do Charvel Jackson Custom Shop or other high end guitar builders compensate for this when using 10" radius OFRs?

Comment

You know with temperature changes I sometimes have to adjust my truss rod on some of my Jacksons and I wonder if this is the reason. I notice particularly both E strings - on the high e it buzzes when fretted on the lower frets and on the low e same thing.

It has happened on both bolt on PC1, Custom Demon, and neck through Warrior.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

But my question still stands....Do Charvel Jackson Custom Shop or other high end guitar builders compensate for this when using 10" radius OFRs?
                My Charvel Star had some copper tape underneath the saddles to raise them up. They also sell metal shims, so just put them under, problem solved.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^ +1. You can shim each saddle to the height you want it anyway.
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have shimmed my guitars for years.
                    I do agree it would great to have the saddels adj like other trems.
                    Even a fixed height at 12 and 14 and 16 in rad at the nut and bridge would be great.

Comment

It might be that the tide is already beginning to shift........If you look in http://www.floydrose.com/nutsizes.html it says that the FR Speedloader trem (which obviously is a newer design) has a 12 inch radius. FR also offers nuts in 9.5", 12" -AND- 17" radius for necks up to 1-3/4" wide! Too bad that I don't personally like the Speedloader nut and the fact that my guitar will not have conventional tuners

Comment

Here are the shims at allparts:

http://www.allparts.com/store/bridge...01,Product.asp

Comment

Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices? Reply to Thread

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          I think Floyd needs to offer height adjustable saddles so I can tweak it to match the radius of my neck.
                          As for the 10" radius nut thing, I agree, they do need to offer at least a 12" radius option.
                          Another great point!
                          GM,
                          www.aftershok.com

Comment

Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices? Reply to Thread

Yes, you're correct....Sorry......I will edit my post now.....But my question still stands....Do Charvel Jackson Custom Shop or other high end guitar builders compensate for this when using 10" radius OFRs?
                            I'm aware that Jackson and Suhr both shim/work on the Floyds to make them work better on their guitars. Another compelling reason for FR to get their crap together and provide some radius options.

A FR is supposed to be a premium upgrade, so builders shouldn't have to spend time rigging it to make it work properly on their guitars.
                            GM,
                            www.aftershok.com

Comment

Slightly off-topic...do Kahler trems provide for individual saddle height adjustments?

Comment

Working...
                              X