Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R5 Nut?

Anybody have one or play one ?

Having to decide on nut width for a custom. I have a PC1 which I think is an R3 - I think????

I am trying to flatten the neck out a bit by going flatter but wider. Trying to decide between R4 and R5 (I know R4 is just a string spacing difference compared to R3).
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

http://www.floydrose.com/nutsizes.html

R5 is for wider necks. R3/R4 is for your regular Jackson nut width - 1 11/16". Hope this helped .

Comment

The PC1 comes with an R4 nut.
      I prefer the wider spacing of the R4 nut myself.
      The R5 is for 1 3/4" nut width and won't fit on a PC1.

The R9 is a 1 11/16" nut designed for a flatter 15" radius.
      You may want to look into that.

You need to remember that all standard (R2 - R5) Floyd Rose nuts are designed for a 10" radius neck at the nut.
      You may have to look into an Ibanez Edge nut if you want wider and flatter.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        You need to remember that all standard (R2 - R5) Floyd Rose nuts are designed for a 10" radius neck at the nut.
        Ibanez fingerboards are usually 16 inch radius, but does Ibanez have any 1-3/4 inch necks that would use a R5?

Comment

I have this one, it has a 1-3/4" nut width and by that also an R5 nut.

www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68471
          666 - Soulless to the core - 666
          www.myspace.com/gravespace
          www.grave.se

Comment

The JP-20 is the only Ibanez I know with a 1 3/4" nut, but it's not exactly a candidate for a trem.
            If you know what they are, you will understand.
            Ibanez guitars typically have a 42mm or 43mm nut.
            With the flatter radius, they just feel wider.
            -Rick

Comment

R5 Nut?

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              The PC1 comes with an R4 nut.
              I prefer the wider spacing of the R4 nut myself.
              The R5 is for 1 3/4" nut width and won't fit on a PC1.

The R9 is a 1 11/16" nut designed for a flatter 15" radius.
              You may want to look into that.

I wasn't aware that the R9 was geared towards a flatter radius? I thought it was for a different truss rod per the quote from the FR brochure:

Nut #9 - Neck Width 1-11/16" Nut #4/2 - 42.8mm w/Bullet
              GM,
              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                I wasn't aware that the R9 was geared towards a flatter radius? I thought it was for a different truss rod per the quote from the FR brochure:

Nut #9 - Neck Width 1-11/16" Nut #4/2 - 42.8mm w/Bullet
                It's for both the bullet style and a flatter radius.
                The R8 is a standard 10" radius nut made for a bullet.
                -Rick

Comment

I am getting a custom made from a guy in England. So I am specking everything.

I have longer fingers and arms so I like a lot of space. I was comparing what I have now to what I am going to get.

The R4 is nice. I probably could go R5 but maybe that would be too wide. Don't know - have never had a guitar with an R5 so I was wondering.

My objective here is to go a little bit wider and flatter on the neck. Flatter being the same at the 1st fret - .80" and then .87" at the 12th fret instead of the .89" that the PC1 neck has. So my custom neck would be .80 and .87 but I am not sure on the nut.

ITs hard to say without playing one.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I did a quick search on the web and cannot find anybody who carries Floyd/Schaller R8 or R9 (or anything numerically higher than a R5)......Any ideas on where to buy them?

Not wanting to risk buying the Ibanez because Warmoth platform cuts are based on Schaller/OFR nut dimensions and the Ibanez nut height/etc. may not be identical.............
                    Last edited by Mr Metal; 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                      I did a quick search on the web and cannot find anybody who carries Floyd/Schaller R8 or R9 (or anything numerically higher than a R5)......Any ideas on where to buy them?

Not wanting to risk buying the Ibanez because Warmoth platform cuts are based on Schaller/OFR nut dimensions and the Ibanez nut height/etc. may not be identical.............
                      Anyone????

Comment

Working...
                      X