painting EMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting EMG's

how should it be done and with what paint?
    can it affect the tone?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

I've painted plastic pickgaurds in urethane and had no problems.
    Goes on nice and is durable.

As far as how it would effect the sound ... I have no clue.

Comment

Pretty sure Mike L would say that it wont affect the sound at all.

Comment

Absolutely NO AFFECT on tone. And that's not just EMG's but all pickups:

Trust me on that, I am a slave to tone.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

And you're not afraid of painting either! Love them
          Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

WoW! Those look great!
            What type of paint was used?
            How did you prep the metal hardware? Acid?

Comment

I'm no artist, those were airbrushed by a pro. Not sure about the painting procedure, I assume you sand the wood down and go for it. Used "House of Kolors" if that means anything. The pickups get directly painted over, and a thin clear is applied. I made damn sure there would be no affect in tone. Absolutely the same as before paint.

Comment

house of kolor is automotive paint i believe...or at least mostly automotive LOL

nice axes...id be afraid to play a guitar with a painted Floyd though...youd ruin the paint!
                My metal band Lucian Scott
                Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                Available Now!
                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

house of kolor is automotive paint i believe...or at least mostly automotive LOL

nice axes...id be afraid to play a guitar with a painted Floyd though...youd ruin the paint!
                  Jackson use mostly car paint i believe (or at least they did a few years ago)

+1 on the painted floyds, but that "skulls" WR with 3 mini-hums looks just killer!!
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Those are some wild paint jobs.
                    My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Wow these look great.

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                        Jackson use mostly car paint i believe (or at least they did a few years ago)

+1 on the painted floyds, but that "skulls" WR with 3 mini-hums looks just killer!!
                        didnt Fender begin the use of car paint in the 50s? i know quite a few people who have guitars painted with automotive paint (one is a PRS...the g uy got it painted with a Nissan Grey color...really cool!)
                        My metal band Lucian Scott
                        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Yeah, House of Kolors paint for guitars, no problem. Also, no problem with the hardware chipping, it's all underneath a clear coat on top. So unless you purposely try to scrape the paint, it's good to go, trust me.

Comment

... but do they put clear on the baseplate, on each individual saddle, and on the posts & screws? There would be barely enough spacing between the saddles to put them back on.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                              didnt Fender begin the use of car paint in the 50s? i know quite a few people who have guitars painted with automotive paint (one is a PRS...the g uy got it painted with a Nissan Grey color...really cool!)
                              Yes, but back then it was the automotive colors were Acrylic lacquer as used by Fender and Gibson. With the introduction of enviromental (EPA) concerns the auto paints are now low voc's 2-3 part catalyst urethanes. Acrylic lacquer for automotive finish is still available from PPG, but it's hard to get.

Back on topic: Auto Air colors (water base and less expensive), with a Urethane top coat clear will work fine especially if you are working with multiple colors and airbrushing.

Of course, HOK products are great also.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X