Guitar for testing pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar for testing pickups

A would like a guitar where I can test different pickups -sort of like a test bench. I have an old Washburn MG-40 lying around, which already has a swimming poll routing, so I think that a little more routing should make it possible to slide pickups in and out. I just need a simple yet genius way to mount and connect the pickups. Anyone has experienced with this? -or has ideas.
    Claus.

I would think a guitar with a fixed bridge would be better. Then you could route a hole behind the pickup cavity, and just change the pickup from behind.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I visited a studio recently and they had a Les Paul from the Woodstock shop in Aarhus, where the pickups could be swapped from behind and connects via ... damn it, I can't remember right now, but it was so simple.

The pickup was in a block of wood and you just pulled the block from the back of the guitar and inserted another block. Very easy. I can check it for ya' next time I visit the studio. The more I think about it.. I think it connects via a 9V battery connector. It connects automatically when you push the block (pickup) in.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

wouldn't alligator clips be easy enough?
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
          I visited a studio recently and they had a Les Paul from the Woodstock shop in Aarhus, where the pickups could be swapped from behind and connects via ... damn it, I can't remember right now, but it was so simple.

The pickup was in a block of wood and you just pulled the block from the back of the guitar and inserted another block. Very easy. I can check it for ya' next time I visit the studio. The more I think about it.. I think it connects via a 9V battery connector. It connects automatically when you push the block (pickup) in.
          I saw that online a while back, I've been searching for it again but couldn't find it. Pretty cool concept..
          Gear:
          none

Comment

What about using some sort of copper contact tabs. When yo slide the pup in from the back. The box (wood or plastic) wth the pup in it would have corresponding tabs on it that matched the ones on the guitar. There would be no need for a battery. Unless you want to use active pups. But keep in mind the lack of wood in the back of the guitar would lessen the tone significantly. Unless you replace it with a block of wood. Or a hinged compartment or something.
            Gil

Comment

Thanks for your comments -it gave me something to think about. I still think I will slide the pickup in sideways. As often with svimming pool routings, there is a grove in both sides, see picture.

I think these grooves could be used to fix a block mounted with a pickup.
              Now the question is just how should this block look like...
              btw using a floyd gives you the opportunity to slacken the strings, and thereby giving you more space to mount the block
              Claus.

Comment

I remember during the late 80's there was a guitar that had pickups loaded from the back on blocks and had a fixed bridge or a Kahler.
                You would mont the pickups in the blocks and just plug them in.

Comment

I have now finished the first prototype. Its a bit flimsy, so...
                  Feel free to comment

Claus.

Comment

looks pretty good, but the tonal aspect of it isn't sound
                    ( hardy har har har)....... looks a bit high, might want to check bridge and string clearance.
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

How about just changing the pickguard with another one thats all wire out?
                      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                      custom made Les Paul
                      VOX Tonelab LE
                      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                      ADA MP1
                      BBE 422A
                      Lexicon MPX-G2
                      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                      Support Your Local 81

Comment

It seems to me that much wood removal and whatnot would kill whatever tone you're testing for. What about suspending the pup on top of the strings, upside down, and then use alligator clips? Hold it with a modified gooseneck with a soft clamp, and that should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                          looks pretty good, but the tonal aspect of it isn't sound
                          ( hardy har har har)....... looks a bit high, might want to check bridge and string clearance.
                          I have thought about the fact that this testing enviroment will not mimic the actual tone when the pickup is mounted the standard way. But my primare goal is to compare pickups relatively.
                          What do you think is the problem with the tonal aspect?

Its 2 mm too high, but I put strings on the guitar yesterday, and I have 5 mm from the pole pieces of the pickup to the strings.
                          Claus.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
                            How about just changing the pickguard with another one thats all wire out?
                            I want to compare 10 pup's
                            Claus.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              It seems to me that much wood removal and whatnot would kill whatever tone you're testing for. What about suspending the pup on top of the strings, upside down, and then use alligator clips? Hold it with a modified gooseneck with a soft clamp, and that should do it.
                              Thats the spirit . Don't get me wrong I do respect your idea, but I just got this picture of a "Back to the future" equipped DeLorean in my head . But seriously, wouldn't this arrangement get in the way for your picking hand?

I have not removed any wood from the guitar (yet). This is just how it looks without the pickguard.
                              Claus.

Comment

Working...
                              X