Can you string a bass backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you string a bass backwards?

I know a left handed bassist who plays a right handed bass upside down. It looks not cool.

How simple or complicated would it be to string a left handed bass backward so that the G string is where the E string should be, the D string is where the A string should be, the A string is where the D string should be, and the E string is where the G string should be?

Would the nut need to be changed?

Would the pickups needs to be changed or flipped?

Thanks!!!

You'd have to reverse the nut and maybe change the saddles around. I don't think it would require any mods beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
      ...It looks not cool.
      Ummm...ok, tell that to Hendrix!
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I'm thinking that stringing a left handed bass backwards and playing it right handed would look just as cool as Hendrix, no?
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          Ummm...ok, tell that to Hendrix!
          Hendrix had an excuse. Left handed guitars were not readily available in his day. If I saw Hendrix in a club today, I would in fact think the upside down guitar looked dumb.

There weren't really available either when my friend was learning, which is why he plays the way he does. I was just wondering if he had other options without having to relearn how to play.

Comment

Working...
          X