Question about wiring an active pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wiring an active pickup

I just got a set of SD Blackouts that I want to install in my SLSMG tonight.
    This quitar however has a "barrell" style input jack so I can't use
    the standard stereo jack supplied with the pickups. Is there any reason I can't solder the battery lead that would normally go to the input jack directly onto the back of vol/tone pot? If I'm interpreting the wiring diagram correctly, inserting a plug into the jack just completes the circuit that then goes to ground on the back of the pot. I know that means the pickup preamp will always be on and I'll have to change my battery more often, but will this work?

Karl

Can you purchase an extra cut off style jack at the nearest McRadio Shack
    that would fit? Or a barrel style stereo jack?
    Are you sure that's a stereo jack, or a mono with a cut off terminal?

Comment

Or you could just wire a toggle switch or a push-pull to turn it on and off....
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Is it one like those below ? You should probably be able to find a stereo version:
        http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...dpin_Jack.html
        http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...tput_Jack.html

Comment

Hi memphiskat,
          You can use an Ibanez jack as they are stereo and work great with active pickups.
          This is what I have used for years on my Krammer with this style jack cut in the body with my EMG's.

Comment

This post will also cover my other thread about the pots not fitting...

Installed the Blackouts this afternoon. Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using sandpaper around a dowel. I did chip the paint just a little in one spot next to the hole. It was my fault as it occured when I hadn't sanded enough and tried to force the pot into the hole. That's what being impatient will get ya. It's completely covered up by the washer and nut though so it can't be seen.

They sound great. I originally tried a Distortion in this guitar, but just wasn't happy. I have EMG81/81 and 81/85 in two of my other guitars so I figured I'd try these. I just got it restrung and hav'nt had a chance to really compare them to my other EMG equiped guitars. Won't be a fair comparison anyway as this is the only mahagony/ebony of the three. But so far I love them.

As for the jack I soldered the ground wire from the battery directly to the tone pot housing. Seems to work for now. I guess I'll get a stereo barrel jack eventually. I'll post some pics tonight.
            Thanks again. Karl

Comment

Working...
            X