Got me an LP that needs repair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me an LP that needs repair!

Ive been GASing for an LP for a while now, no particular reason. I guess the fact that out of 30 guitars, I have one Dean bass, one token MIM strat, and well... I guess I wanted a token LP to add to the list.

I fell in love with the silverburst LP's... but theres NO WAY IN HELL I can or would want to afford a Gibson. So I started look at the Epiphones, after playing a few, they feel great. I didnt want to spend $600 for a new one... or $400 for a used one... so I just got this for $200 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230172372752

Once Im done with the neck repair, which wont cost me much over $15 worth of materials, it wont even be noticable. Ill post up the process of fixing in once it gets here!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Ouch! I don't need to see this. I have a vintage LP on the way. (Mega bucks!) Do you have someone to repair it? Or are you going to tackle it? Looks like the peghead veneer is intact. From my memory of Dan Erlewine's book, Guitar Player Repair Guide, that one is going to need splines. (oh, I found it page 182, 1990 edition) Usually two and they will need to be milled and pressed into the area. Not easy. Then the re-finish that area.

Good Luck!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have gotten away without, but on half-breaks, fully intact wood.
      I would also recommend a spline job. With much care, it can be done with a router and strips.
      I gather from your original post, you know what you're doing, keep us posted.

Comment

Dont get me wrong, Im no luthier. But I pick up on things pretty well. A friend of mine had brought over a neck that he was trying to take the fretboard off of. He ended up seperating the scarf in the process! I finished removing the board, reset the scarf and put on a new board... came out really well!

I just looked into the splines... that seems like a great idea that I think Ill do for added security. Ive got a router and tons of bits so it shouldnt be a problem. Ill know more once it gets here though. He didnt put the "missing wood" quote in until after I submitted my offer. I emailed him asking exactly how much wood is missing before I sent my payment.

Regardless, I think its a good deal... and to be quite honest, Id much rather have this one over a new one. I like a little bit of "me" to be in each of my guitars. I REALLY enjoy building and repairing them, and this is no different. Once all is said and done in the end, I have a great guitar that cost me alot less money and that I can say I fixed it.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          .. and to be quite honest, Id much rather have this one over a new one. I like a little bit of "me" to be in each of my guitars. I REALLY enjoy building and repairing them, and this is no different. Once all is said and done in the end, I have a great guitar that cost me alot less money and that I can say I fixed it.
          I couldn't agree more. That will make a cool project.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

^ +1

how come headstock snap cases are -always- LP's or other 1-piece mahogany necks?

Anyway, once glued in place, that's one place less it can crack
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

What I think Im gonna do first is glue it back together. Then once its fully set, Ill see how stable it is and how much wood/filler is needed. If I still think it needs more strength, Ill put two splines in. If not, Ill fill, paint and buff it. Should be virtually unnoticable as long as the paint matches. As long as the two pieces will go together tightly, I think glue will be more than sufficient as glue joints are usually stronger than the wood itself.

Again, its all speculation until it gets here!

Mark, do you or anyone else happen to know what type of paint Epi uses? Im guessing standard poly but Id like to be sure and use the same type of paint.

Comment

I would assume it's poly. To be sure, put a little lacquer thinner on a rag and rub it. If any paint comes off, or gets sticky, it's not poly!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Mark, do you or anyone else happen to know what type of paint Epi uses? Im guessing standard poly but Id like to be sure and use the same type of paint.[/quote]

If it's poly, I think it's Dupont G2-4500 Clear. Good Stuff

Comment

Well Im not getting it. The seller was really cool about everything, I asked for more pics as they added that it completely broke off after I sent my offer. He sent me a bunch of pics and its MUCH worse than it looked. Far beyond my capabilities, its a straight break from the nut to the bottom... if it was an angled break, it would have been easier... but it basically snapped off straight. Kinda sucks as I would have loved to have it, but theres not too much Id be able to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      Well Im not getting it. The seller was really cool about everything, I asked for more pics as they added that it completely broke off after I sent my offer. He sent me a bunch of pics and its MUCH worse than it looked. Far beyond my capabilities, its a straight break from the nut to the bottom... if it was an angled break, it would have been easier... but it basically snapped off straight. Kinda sucks as I would have loved to have it, but theres not too much Id be able to do with it.
                      Do an ebay search under les paul project,there's like ten or fifteen of them.

Marc

Comment

Why not replace the neck? Even though LP through necks are a bitch to find... look for another damaged or knock off. Even better make one

http://www.dbeweb.com/guitar/
                        Last edited by JetFixxxer; 09-22-2007, 10:23 PM.
                        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

epi's have poly finish....good luck

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Les-Pau...QQcmdZViewItem
                            2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                            2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                            2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                            2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                            2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                            2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                            2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                            2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                            2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                            1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                            1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

> http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Les-Pau...QQcmdZViewItem

wtf does this asshole have against Canada (especially Quebec) ????

And Africa and the middle east... fucking racist.
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X