24 or 27 Frets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 or 27 Frets ?

I should have posted this question here and not in the Other Guitars catagory.

I am getting a custom guitar made similar to a Hamer Californian.

I can get 24 or 27 frets.

I don't use anything past the 24th fret but by getting 27 frets access to the 24th fret is awesome.

First I am going to see if I can get a cut out to allow almost as much access if I get a 24 fretter. If not, I may have to end up going with 27.

My issue with 27 frets is not only are they too small to be of practical use, but I think tone will be sacrificed. Am I correct here on the tone issue?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Tone of the neck pickup won't be as "round" since it has to be further away from the center of the strings.

Now imagine if you could somehow embed a pickup into the fretboard right at the 12th fret..... Dave Gilmour watch out
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
      Tone of the neck pickup won't be as "round" since it has to be further away from the center of the strings.

Now imagine if you could somehow embed a pickup into the fretboard right at the 12th fret..... Dave Gilmour watch out
      What if you're playing the 12th fret or higher? I'm not sure I understand the notion of 'closer to the centre of the strings', that varies depending on the fretted note.

Comment

What if you're playing the 12th fret or higher?
        uh... yeah, i didn't think about that so a pickup there would be kinda pointless i guess

I'm not sure I understand the notion of 'closer to the centre of the strings', that varies depending on the fretted note.
        You know, you just made me realize something i never really thought about. The neck pickup gives a rounder, more organic tone even when playing way up the neck, even though, say on the 24th fret, it's right next to the (other) end of the vibrating string length.

I need to revise the laws of physics now
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Many people seem to agree that the neck pup should be where the 24f would be on a 22f neck. on a 24f they compromise and put it as close to the 24f as possible.

Moving it farther away because of a 27 fr would be more like a middle pup instead of a neck.

Comment

and put it as close to the 24f as possible.
            +1!!!!!! .... on my latest project git i have about 1.5mm (about 1/16") heh .... & been jammin aroudn with country (0r well, fans thereof) dudes all day

but as ive said, ive still got to revise thosephysics laws.............

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
              but as ive said, ive still got to revise thosephysics laws.............

Frankly it's very easy to put too much faith in the modelling...vibration is a complex beast, and ears are better suited to music than theoretical sinusoids! We make up the theory as we go along and whenever we come across something unexpected, we just tweak the theory to suit!
              Last edited by KMud; 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X