Changing Tubes in an amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Tubes in an amp?

Well as i;m sure most people who read this know i have a Marshall AVT 275..

Well my question is. It has a single preamp tube and i am needing MORE gain from it so is it possible to insert a tube that can give me more gain?

I am an amp retard, i can just turn it on and dial in good distortion so if someone could help me that;d be cool

Re: Changing Tubes in an amp?

As far as I know, the 12ax7 (Ecc83) is it. The 12at7 and 12au7, cousins, would actually give you less gain. They are more subtle. You can experiment with various brands of 12ax7's if you want to spend the pounds.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Try the Sovtek 12AX7LPS
      I put one in a Marshall VS100 (8100) and it sounded great. It seemed to give me considerable more gain than the stock 12AX7A that it had originally although I am not really sure if that 1 preamp tube had actually anything to do with the gain.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
        Try the Sovtek 12AX7LPS
        I put one in a Marshall VS100 (8100) and it sounded great. It seemed to give me considerable more gain than the stock 12AX7A that it had originally although I am not really sure if that 1 preamp tube had actually anything to do with the gain.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking of the driver tube. You may have an excellent point. I am an old fart, where tubes and solid-state together would be an oxymoron. (And I am not referring to myself. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

boogie distributes the "SPax7" which is supposed to be a higher gain version of the standard 12ax7/ecc83.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Try couple of different brands in your amp. Sovtek is a good start. JJ ecc83s is also pretty good. One tube doesn't change gain that much but you can experiment and find sound that you like most.

Comment

Working...
            X