No announcement yet.

Okay, what's up with my string tension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, what's up with my string tension?

I feel like an idiot asking this, but here goes.

I have:

Model 2 (25.5" scale, JT6 trem)
    Fusion Pro (24.75" scale, JT580)

So, if I tune these two to the same pitch, shouldn't the Fusion have less string tension due to the shorter scale? I'm getting the opposite effect. The high "E" string on the Fusion is noticeably tighter than on the Model 2 when they're tuned to the same pitch. They both have Ernie Ball Slinkies, 09-42 guage, and both trems are free-floating and adjusted level.

Any ideas?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Okay, what\'s up with my string tension?

Huh. Nope. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

The trem springs in your Model 2 might be "looser" and have more "give" than your Fusion's trem springs, perhaps? Or maybe the trem springs in your Fusion are shorter, causing more tension maybe when compared to longer springs in your Model 2? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Just proposing ideas here.

I presume you've got the trem spring arrangement exactly the same in both guitars. And supposedly using a W-shape trem spring pattern, as opposed to 3 parallel, adds more tension and has less "give".

I personally like the slightly higher tension. I sacrifice the slight buttery feel in favor of me not having to bend the string quite as high up the board. I'd put five trem springs on all my guitars if only I could. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
        I presume you've got the trem spring arrangement exactly the same in both guitars. And supposedly using a W-shape trem spring pattern, as opposed to 3 parallel, adds more tension and has less "give".
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, the Fusion is in the "W" shape. It's been a while since I looked at the Model 2's cavity, so I don't remember. Maybe the Model 2 is in the parallel config. If so, I'll switch the Fusion to the same.

Thanks!
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
        X