Floyd Rose + Sperzel Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose + Sperzel Tuners

I noticed the "King Rhoads" models have Floyd Rose bridge + Sperzel tuners... and that got me wondering.

Isn't that overkill? Or would that really be a nice feature on a guitar?

I'm considering on putting Sperzels on my RR1 with Floyd Rose... just to try out Sperzel Locking Tuners and see how they work.

would this be a wise choice?

pros - cons?

Sperzel's are great regardless if you have a locking nut. I like the smooth action and ease of stringing. I've been using Sperzels on many guitars for 18 years. I love those tuners. Recently, they have available polished finishes to join up with the old existing satin finished keys.

I'd say go for it. You will be glad you did!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Locking tuners make for quicker string changes. Also, Carvin's guitars with Floyds use Sperzels and no Floyd locking nut, and people say they stay in tune extremely well. They do offer a locking nut as an option for another $20, but most people on their forum don't find it necessary.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i had sperzels put on a gretsch with a bigsby. They kept that guitar pretty much intune, which is amazing. you could also leave the locks off the floyd nut, & it would probably still stay intune.

Comment

I'd totally agree that Sperzels or other locking tuners make string change a lot faster!

Comment

... dunno, i trust the locking nut more than the tuners, mainly because there's always some slack string accumulated in the tuners that will transfer to the fretboard side of the nut. Unless you take your time and stretch it out several times, which in the end is more time consuming than just a normal locking nut with regular tuners.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
              ... dunno, i trust the locking nut more than the tuners, mainly because there's always some slack string accumulated in the tuners that will transfer to the fretboard side of the nut. Unless you take your time and stretch it out several times, which in the end is more time consuming than just a normal locking nut with regular tuners.
              I still stretch my strings well on any guitar I own, regardless of what kind of nut, tuners or bridge it has.

Comment

I love the Search function. I have a way cool Fusion that has a Peavey Tracer non-Floyd nut neck. I also have a loose set of Sperzels. Wa-fukking-la, I now know on which guitar they will go.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I think that if you put locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd nut then you are purley doing it for cosmetic reasons.once you lock the nut down nothing matters on the headstock.so many people do these kinds of mods because they think that these name brand parts are going to help them improve something or just because everyone else uses them.do some research first.its like putting emgs in your guitar because metallica uses them.well that doesnt mean you will sound like them because you have different gear than they do.

Comment

Originally posted by BODOM View Post
                    I think that if you put locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd nut then you are purley doing it for cosmetic reasons.once you lock the nut down nothing matters on the headstock.so many people do these kinds of mods because they think that these name brand parts are going to help them improve something or just because everyone else uses them.
                    No. The only way I can remotely agree with your statement is if you want the cosmetics of locking tuners to make you look like an intelligent player.

I have 2 guitars without locking tuners and every time I snap a string on the Schecter or Paul I think "GODAMNIT$&*#&*#%@(#*&". With Sperzels, it's no big deal.

I've seen some argument from purist types against locking tuners because they feel it puts some kind of extra tension or mass on the headstock. In tests with recordings, I could not hear ANY difference when I made the change on a strat a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BODOM View Post
                      I think that if you put locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd nut then you are purley doing it for cosmetic reasons..
                      Re-read my post. The neck I have on my Floyded Fusion has a regular nut. The Tracer neck works well. If I can put Sperzels on and not have to cut the neck for a Floyd nut, what is it you don't get?
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I'm building a warmoth strat right now and I'm using a floyd, sperzels and an LSR roller nut. I hate locking nuts and have always wanted to try this combo. In a couple weeks I'll know how well it works!
                        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

locking tuners are a no-brainer, once you experience how easy they make string changes. that alone is a reason to install them, regardless of what trem or locking nut you might have.

or, you can choose to spend the extra time winding normal tuners and trying to get the unwound strings to stay tight on the overlap when you first start winding so it doesn't slip and fuck up.

me, it's thread, lock, stretch out and tune. bam.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Even though most of my guitars have standard tuners on them, I do have a Charvel Model series that I converted to a Floyd, no locking nut, and Sperzels. Those are awesome tuners for quick restringing regardless of whether there is a locking nut or not. Sperzel also makes a low E locking tuner called a D-Thingy which is basically a Sperzel locking tuner with a lever on the back of it. Flip the lever one way and its E, flip it the other way and its D. So You can use it on a guitar with a standard nut to accomplish what a D-Tuna does on a locking nut. I need to get one of these D-Thingy's for my Charvel. The only downside with Sperzels is that you end up having to re-drill the mounting screw holes on the back of the headstock when converting from standard tuners. Thats o.k. for my project Model series Charvel but I'm not about to do it to my USA Jacksons or custom shops.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              The only downside with Sperzels is that you end up having to re-drill the mounting screw holes on the back of the headstock when converting from standard tuners.
                              Just get a pair of pliers and you can easily pull the mounting pin out of the Sperzel. You don't need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X