Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My amp Is fucked....

Well, its a Marshall AVT275.

I was at band practising today playing at about volume 7-8 and suddenly all the power dies from my amp... the red light goes off and everything...

This really sucks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong???

Thanks.

Re: My amp Is fucked....

Check the fuse. If everything just stopped, that could be it. Then you have to determine why the fuse blew.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks a lot man.

You just mean IN the plug or actualy in the amp??

cause in the UK we have little fuses in the plug, i dunno about the US.

Comment

I almost took that the wrong way. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] A fuse anywhere along the line is the weakest link, so check them anywhere they may be. Usually there is a little black circular knob in the back of the amp the says. "Fuse". That's the first place to check. It will help you if you remember just exactly what you were doing when the amp just stopped and may indicate what caused the blowout.

[ June 29, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: fett ]

Comment

I was playing a shred solo with my band.

Comment

If you didn't smell any smoke and the amp just quit, the problem is a blown fuse or you may have disconnected a terminal inside the amp. I had an old tube amp and it wouldn't light up. Before I knew any better, I took it to the amp guy that did Santana's amps. Well, 9 months later, I got the amp back. The amp would work and then shut down. It turned out that it was a car-type nylon plug inside that would come loose when I played the amp at volume. Fuses are always the first place to go. If you have to go to the guts, be careful.

Comment

Well man, when i went over to the amp to see what the deal was it smelled. Not as much of smoke.. it jsut smelled... but it usually does that when playing at high volume. Thanks for your help bro.

Comment

Let's just hope it is not one of the transformers. Hope you get it solved. If you have never taken an amp to an amp guy, watch out for the cost. It could be worse than taking your Jag to the shop.

Comment

I have taken it before and got hyper-boned on cost. thats why i'm trying to see if i can fix it myself this time

Comment

I am not a Marshall amp person. Whether this is a tube amp or not, there is a lot of saved up voltage inside. Please, make sure you understand that. Without a complete knowledge of how electricity flows, at least use one hand only and wear rubber shoes so you are grounded. And above all, buy a book on amps and their repair. It will save you a lot of money. But you have to get through all the "Warnings". Then diagnose the problem and fix it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] " Disclaimer: This is what I have read. What someone does with this info is completely their responsibility."

[ June 29, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: fett ]

Comment

Yeah man, thanks, i appreciate it. I will be calling marshall tomorrow and ask them if they can give me a direct idea of what the problem is. I will however be probably buying the book on amp repair as yeah, it does cost a whole loada cash.

Comment

Buy the "Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pitman. It is a primer and is full of great info. That is, if you have a tube amp. Regardless, it talks about all the great amps and makes you want to have them all. And that is where I got the info I have been sending you. It takes you through the diagnosis steps and "Warns" the shit out of you. If your Marshall isn't tube, then chuck it.

[ June 29, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: fett ]

Comment

Its a Valvestate.

it has a single valve in preamp and the poweramp is solidstate.

Comment

Check this out. I could have bought that amp for 80 USD at an open market. I would raise your sights and buy a good tube amp. I am afraid the Marshall sold out on those. Well,I guess you could replace the valve.

Comment

Whaddya mean sold out? i bought it 2 years ago??? and i know someone that bought one 2 weeks ago?

Comment

Working...
                              X