No announcement yet.

Tuning to Eb, do I have to re-intonate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning to Eb, do I have to re-intonate?

Seeing as my Jackson DKMG is used strictly for metal/hard-rock, I'm thinking of tuning it to Eb and leaving it there. Its currently standard tuning with 10-46 strings. I'd like to tune it to Eb and still use 10-46 strings. Adjusting the floyd is not a problem, but I was wondering if I have to re-intonate the guitar?

Also, when intonating, is it the 12th fret Harmonic (i.e. lightly touching the string above the 12th fret) or do you fret the 12th fret when checking intonation?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Meaty

Re: Tuning to Eb, do I have to re-intonate?

When intonating, you do BOTH and you compare the two. That's the common way of intonating a guitar. Fret that 12th fret note lightly when doing this.

You may not even have to intonate at all. Depends. I found that when I put my KE3 into D using 10-46, I didn't even have to do it. I was rather surprised. And then I put my Soloist from 10-46 to 9-46 and still didn't have to intonate. And I have a pretty sweet accurate tuner as well.

It would only be a few cents off anyway, if any. It's probably done on a case-by-case basis. I say close enough for rock-n-roll. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

you should have the same note doing a harmonic and a (lightly) fretted note at the 12, 19 and 24 frets. if the fretted note is higher than the harmonic, move the saddle backwards, if it's lower, move the saddle forward.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

oh and theoretically, the lower string action, the less intonation adjustment you need to do when transposing tuning, .... right?
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

You probably won't need to adjust the intonation, but if you have really good hearing it might be better if you do.
          Most people make it seem like intonating a FR is a big deal, but it's not harder than intonating any other kind of bridge, just takes a little longer. It's a bit trial and error, but once you get the feel for it it's actually quite easy.

Comment

I use "The Key" for intonating Floyds, and it's made my life MUCH easier - some of the best money I every spent. I think someone here (Doc Dryer? Kickaxeguitars?) might sell them.

I found that I didn't need to re-intonate much when I went to Eb, but I also went up to 10s from 9s when I did it...

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
            X