A good stripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good stripper

Anyone know where to get a finished neck stripped and the approximate cost ?

Re: A good stripper

I could help with the FIRST thing that came to mind from the topic title, but not the actual contents... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Yea, I thought there were gonna be chicks on this thread.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (as I put my head down, shove my hands in my pockets and kick a can as I walk away [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by pitboss:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No jokes now. This was suggested before, and I have used this method on vintage wood golf clubs. Use a sharp pocket knife or a single edge razor blade and scrape the finish off. Practice on some junk wood first to hone your skills. Stripping this way takes a lot of time, but it's so much better when it's slow and a tease.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pitboss:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No jokes now. This was suggested before, and I have used this method on vintage wood golf clubs. Use a sharp pocket knife or a single edge razor blade and scrape the finish off. Practice on some junk wood first to hone your skills. Stripping this way takes a lot of time, but it's so much better when it's slow and a tease. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey! I thought you said no jokes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Man, I bet that takes a LONG time.
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I way I figure it, if I can say something constructive then I have a right to make a joke. I just have to remember the steps. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The stripping by blade does take a long time. But the upside is, you don't use chemicals that could alter the wood and, as you get down to the actual wood, it smooths it out like no abrasive can. I learned my stripping technique from Gypsy Rose Lee.

[ June 28, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: fett ]

Comment

I'm with fettie on this one.
              Using a sharp metal blade is good. But let me tell you, using a straight, clean cut piece of glass is THE way to go. The glass angled at 45 deg. takes a lot of paint in one light brush. When the cutting edge of the glass gets chipped (it will eventually) you just cut
              it once more with a glass cutter. When coming close to bare wood, change to metal blade (razor) because it is more gentle. Metal blades gets chipped as well, so change them often.

When you learn the technique, it is quite effecient to do it by glass/blade. I also prefer not to mess around with chemicals.

Note: i realized we're off topic. Sorry, i don't know where to get it done and the cost [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Sandpaper. Start with 100 grit working to 600 grit. Cost: $9

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                  Sandpaper. Start with 100 grit working to 600 grit. Cost: $9
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When you use the blade tecnique, it compresses the grain and makes it so smooth. Sandpaper roughs- up the wood, by definition. If you use the blade/glass method, you remove the paint and dress the wood at the same time. You just have to try it. Good pocketknife, you already have, or a piece of glass, go play catch. Cost to you, "0". Cost to your dad, $300.

Comment

Best way ive learned..and fastest..Heat gun-paint scraper..

Ox

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Camel:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Goodbye bindings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lost Camel:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Goodbye bindings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dry your hair with a heat gun and do your mails with sandpaper. You guys are talking about the heart and sole of a guitar. "I think I'll shave my neck with "Chem-it-all." And then smooth it out with 000 grit. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I knew the title of the thread would get some interest ! I need a pro to send this job to, I would f&%# a neck up if I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by pitboss:
                            I knew the title of the thread would get some interest ! I need a pro to send this job to, I would f&%# a neck up if I tried.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No you wouldn't. Get a black baseball bat and experiment with the blade/glass style. You really can do it. It may take hours, but when "You" get that neck the way "You" want it to feel, it's better than masturbating.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                              I'm with fettie on this one.
                              Using a sharp metal blade is good. But let me tell you, using a straight, clean cut piece of glass is THE way to go. The glass angled at 45 deg. takes a lot of paint in one light brush. When the cutting edge of the glass gets chipped (it will eventually) you just cut
                              it once more with a glass cutter. When coming close to bare wood, change to metal blade (razor) because it is more gentle. Metal blades gets chipped as well, so change them often.

When you learn the technique, it is quite effecient to do it by glass/blade. I also prefer not to mess around with chemicals.

Note: i realized we're off topic. Sorry, i don't know where to get it done and the cost [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I used the glass method as well, works excellent and quick [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X