Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for guitar techs on bridge post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for guitar techs on bridge post?

About the posts: This is a common problem with guitars. The posts that are screwed directly into the wood have a tendancy to get pulled forward due to the string tension.

Is this true, if so what steps can you take to prevent this from ever happening? Jackson members can any help me?

Comment

depends on the wood. ive heard of guitars built in the 80s with the wood screws that are still perfect today, while ive heard of others made of softer woods (basswood for example) that the holes were ruined on because of the tension and use of the trem.

if this happens you have a couple options...if you want to keep using the woodscrews drill out the hole to match the closest size wood dowel, glue in the dowel and after drying drill and replace the screws...or you could get the newer post bushings and inserts and have the holes opened up for the bushings.
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

The body is made of Honduras mahogany wood. It's an 1986, but it's one of those rare hard to find guitars and want to keep it in awesome shape.

Comment

Hey mate,
          I asked a similar question not that long ago and was given the link to this site.

http://www.dinosguitarworks.com/15.html

Let me know how you get on. I'm waiting for a mate to give me a hand with it so I had to leave it be for a while. This is hard because it's an 86 model 3 that I havent played yet. The suspense is killing me

Comment

If they're solid and aren't leaning forward or loose, don't worry about them. Just check them occasionally when you do your routine maintenance. If you are aggressive with the bar and are really worried that the first sign of a problem will be the trem ripping out of the guitar, then go ahead and install bushings.

Comment

Go with the bushings if the screws are coming out.You will have a more solid trem as a result.You will have to drill so be sure you stay on center.Just measure and drill the existing hole to fit the bushing.Very simple really.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

my Hamer V had those posts & was also hondoran mahogany, NO Problems at all. one side did get a finish crack around the post but the wood was solid. like others have said you can get the bushin type posts put it. if they arent leaning forward or loose now after 20 yrs i wouldnt worry too much about it.

Comment

Working...
                X