What a strange issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a strange issue

When I hit lower C tone notes my tremolo springs start vibrating, because of the C tone resonance. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That is only happening with C tones. Others are okay. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Okay, tell me how should I solve it. I was thinking of isolating the springs with some isolation ducktape, but I always want to ask you, if you have some better solutions.

Thanks!

Re: What a strange issue

I take a small piece of foam and put it between the springs and body.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I have had import Jacksons that have done that very thing.Change to floyd springs or new replacements of some kind or do the foam trick.Foam works great and is way cheaper.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do you mean? I think that the bridge is the issue.
        Hey, what about tightening or loosening the springs just a little, so it won't affect the bridge position, but the spring will get out of "C tuning". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I read that Steve Vai takes the cover off and simply folds up some tissue paper and lays them on top of the springs, then replaces the cover.

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html
          Click on the first guitar (EVO) and look at the back picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StukaJU87:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do you mean? I think that the bridge is the issue.
            Hey, what about tightening or loosening the springs just a little, so it won't affect the bridge position, but the spring will get out of "C tuning". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unscrew the cover off the back of the guitar. Take a small piece of foam, the squishy kind, and feed it under the springs so that it is between the body and springs. It will dampen the vibrations. You only need a small piece, maybe 3" long, 1" wide and 1/2" thick.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain:
              I read that Steve Vai takes the cover off and simply folds up some tissue paper and lays them on top of the springs, then replaces the cover.

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html
              Click on the first guitar (EVO) and look at the back picture.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I did the same thing with some foam in my EMG pickup box. I cut it to fit the same dimensions as the springs in the cavity, just laid it on top and put the cover back on. It worked.

I've heard of some people also using pipe cleaners or Q-tips and putting them inside of the springs.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I did it, guys! What I did: take a closer look and listen to the spring. Only one was "singin'", so I took that one off, rolled around its full lenght one layer of isolation ducktape and it works 100 %.

Comment

Doesn't the tape keep the spring from returning to its original position?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
                    Doesn't the tape keep the spring from returning to its original position?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, because I didn't taped it very tight, and this isolation tape is not so well sticky on metal surface. When I press the tremolo bar down, it expands with the spring, and it balaces back without any problem.

Comment

OK. Good work.

Comment

Oh, yes, I forgot. It's called "Nitto Tape", I think the brand is also known worldwide.

I used the black one, which is in the front of all others.

Comment

wow, looks like you used quite a bit of it [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                            wow, looks like you used quite a bit of it [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No, no. They vary a lot. Some of them have a small disc, and some of them have huge. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X