neck screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck screws

where could i obtain replacement neck screws for a import toothpaste charvel??
    yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

I'm also interested in neck screw answers!

I know the imports used screws with different thickness over the years. But what are the dimesions, and at what point did they change them?

Comment

Well its just a screw so ti doesnt have to be for a guitar. If yu want the exact same size take one down to your local hardware store or home depot

You can also get neck screws from all the parts suppliers but they may not be exact matches but hey...its just a screw Stew-mac, WD Music, Warmoth, guitar parts depot. all parts etc etc
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
        Well its just a screw so ti doesnt have to be for a guitar. If yu want the exact same size take one down to your local hardware store or home depot

You can also get neck screws from all the parts suppliers but they may not be exact matches but hey...its just a screw Stew-mac, WD Music, Warmoth, guitar parts depot. all parts etc etc
        It's been my experience that the hardware store screws aren't a good choice.
        The OEM screws have a better finish on the threads, minimizing the chance of splitting. Also, it's not easy to find the curved head profiles on the hardware store ones. Flatheads look bad and strip easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          It's been my experience that the hardware store screws aren't a good choice.
          Agreed. I want chrome, or at least nickel plated screws for starters. I'd also prefer to not have to dowel or drill anything, if I don't have to. Thus my questions about diameters. I currently don't own any J/C guitar bolts to measure myself, but I have a '05 DK-2 neck that I'm planning to use.

Comment

I don't know the answer at the moment on availablility, but I know what you are saying. The neck screws are metric on the imports and larger diameter than the english unit size screw on USA manufactured guitars. I have wondered myself about the larger diameter of metric screw in the imports. Possibly a stainless steel neck screw in the standard size would work and not cross thread the existing hole too bad. They would certainly have better strength.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

what is, budman?
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I was swapping hardware to gold and got a gold fender neckplate. The gold screws were a little too big to fit and too deep. Remember with an import that has a shaved heal, you need shorter screws.

Comment

True-Value Hardware stores have a better selection of screws than Home Cheapo. The True-Value in my area even stocks nickle plated screws. Give them a try.
                  Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

We don't have either Home Depot or True Value over here, so those suggestions don't help much unfortunately.

Still looking for dimensions on original screws. Surely somebody must have some laying around that they could measure?

Comment

I pulled one out of a model 2 the overall length is 1.815" the head diameter is .385" with a .060" dome on the head, a 45 degree taper 3/16" deep(countersink) under the head, 13 threads per inch, threaded diameter is .200" for an .125" hole in the neck, thats the best I can do, I measured these with a dial caliper.
                      Last edited by jacksonaxes; 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM.
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

*takes notes*

That's great, thanks! It looks like I'd need somewhat thinner screws for my neck, judging from the holes, but I'll keep investigating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                          *takes notes*

That's great, thanks! It looks like I'd need somewhat thinner screws for my neck, judging from the holes, but I'll keep investigating.
                          And they're called "pan head" screws.
                          Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Working...
                          X