Horrible problem with my Dinky XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible problem with my Dinky XL

Sorry to bother you guys with another problem but I couldn't find anything about this in fret buzz FAQs part.

Recently I have started to notice some fairly quiet fret buzz in different areas of the neck. The worst part though is when I play some notes (the 12th fret on the high E especially) there sounds to be another note playing slightly below it (less than a semitone below). This is extremely annoying as it gives me a kind of chorus sound that I dont want. Can anyone help?

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Horrible problem with my Dinky XL

You hear that from your amp or when playing dry?

Comment

I've experienced that only when playing dry. It has never come through with the amp. I think that the fret buzz is a totally different issue.

Comment

I've always accepted that as normal, and anything "not that" as not normal.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Probably the left part of the string vibrating, ie. between the 11th fret and the nut.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

it does just sound like sympathetic vibrations on the nut-side of the fretted note. Try tying a sock around the strings at the 1st fret and see if the problem persists.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Its only when I play through the amp with distortion and it happens with a clean amp and an effects pedal too. It has only just started happening and I can accept this to be normal because if I am trying to play a melodic type slow solo the notes sound very dissonant. Ill try that sock suggestion though...

Comment

Try putting a piece of foam in your trem springs. I had a guitar that used to do this - the springs would ring in weird overtones, and it was VERY pronounced with distortion. Damping the spings fixed it.

Mike
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Try lowering the pickups a little too. The neck PU in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                    it does just sound like sympathetic vibrations on the nut-side of the fretted note. Try tying a sock around the strings at the 1st fret and see if the problem persists.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you hadn't noticed, Jeff Beck had a sock around his guitar neck from 1973-1976.

Comment

get one of loose ponytail holders. the real soft kind that is still small. put that around your neck, and you can slide it infront or behind the nut while playing.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

&gt; Try lowering the pickups a little too. The neck PU in particular.

especially single coils, because usually their magnetic field is more directed towards the strings than with humbuckers. which means their presence affects the string vibration more.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Ok Thanks again for all the help! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I put some new strings on today and I also took some tension off the tremelo springs (dont ask why) and that definitely helped a lot. Im gonna try putting some foam in there with the tremelo springs aswell and the pony tail holder think too...

Comment

It could also be that your neck is a bit warped. You probobly just need to adjust the truss rod a bit (I would read up on it if you have never done it before). That would explain the bruzzing on certain parts of the neck.

Comment

Working...
                            X