Strange sounding Bridge Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sounding Bridge Hum

on my 85 San Dimas Dinky the bridgehum sounds really really weak, it almost has less output and balls than the single in the neckposition...
    i also have had some troubles with the switch not working properly or having PUs not working at all when switching but i thought i cured that with some spray...
    the previous owner sold the guitar because it didnt sound fat enough too.
    now i'm thinking...cant this just be some bad electronics? or is a hum from this age supposed to sound like this?
    i'm a total n00b when it comes to electronics, although i have done some minor soldering when modding my squier [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

any help or suggestions would be great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Strange sounding Bridge Hum

It could be the switch or the vol or tone pot or the capasitor on the tone pot.A bad solder joint or input jack.I say that because the pickup itself is very rarely the problem.I use a .047mcf cap on most all my guitars for a little darker tone.The pickup could be installed incorrectly and only 1 coil is operating.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

how can i check those things?
      i dont think its the input jack since the single coil sounds normal
      perhaps i should just drop it off at a tech

Comment

Maybe it's wired parallel on the bridge position, and you see the bridge position only on the switch, but actually it's parallel.

Your guitar have the humbucker in the bridge and one single in the neck position? No middle pickups, right?

No, don't spray switches and pots, really. Everything that can affect their behavior is the dust and dirt. Pots are easy to open, so are switches. You'll notice a "path" running in the pots, so clean that first with an ear stick (you know, that little thingy with foam on each end), then try to clean the rotating connector too.

Well, I think that your problem isn't caused by pots. Why don't you try a new switch? Or make it better and cheaper: connect your bridge hum directly to the volume pot and listen that. If the problem remains, then try looking for new pots/pickup.

Comment

I would check the wireing first. Maybe someone changed some parts and did not hook it up correctly.

Comment

here's a (huge) pic, if you guys could have a look at it and tell me if something is wrong...
            it looks a lot dirtier and stuff because of the flash though..

Inside of the Dinky

Comment

It took me a couple of minutes to figure it out ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Interesting wiring.
              Make sure you have that metal plate that has pot ground and both pickups ground solderded on it somehow connected to the housing of the pots, otherwise those grounds on the case are dead.

It seems like everything's okay, but check that humbucker grounds (green and bare) if they're both soldered okay.
              Try puting a wire between the pot case and the last pin (the one that is connected to the metal plate).

You can also ground your switch for extra "insurance".

Tell me, the area around the switch looks very suspicious to me. Are those drops or it's a motif in the plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                And the ground wires of the humbucker look like they will
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">.. detach from the solder in a second.

Comment

Heres a couple more tips.
                  Re heat up the solder at the pickup leads where they go into the coils.
                  See if that works.

If not, wire the pick up out of phase and tell me what you get...

Comment

i'll try to figure out what you just said...it looks like a jungle to me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    i think theyre drops, since i had just sprayed the switch..
                    do you think this is the original wiring or has someone made adjustments to it?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeNo:
                      do you think this is the original wiring or has someone made adjustments to it?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I doubt it's the factory wiring. There are some drops of the zinc that are unused, also the switch pins are warped very ugly. And the ground wires of the humbucker look like they will

Comment

yeah i noticed those drops too...
                        i'm thinking of having it rewired by a tech, think thats a good idea?

Comment

is that a lefty guitar? cause the pickup wires seem to be coming from the opposite directions....?
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt:
                            is that a lefty guitar? cause the pickup wires seem to be coming from the opposite directions....?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Strange guess, but I think it's righty, because the input jack wire comes from the right side.

Comment

it's a righty indeed, whats strange about the direction of the wires? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                              i noticed the ground wires of the hum almost seem to come loose, can this cause the lack of output? i'll try to solder it again

Comment

Working...
                              X