Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Identification

Came out of the parts box, old stuff:

Looks like a standard single coil, probably a duncan.
    Six individual polepieces
    4 wire
    Checks 11k black to red
    11k white to green
    plus bare ground wire.
    Stacked humbucker?
    Thinking about trying it on a Kramer project,
    neck position, or mid. I have an HB in the bridge.

I tried the Seymour Duncan website, but no luck.
    It's at least 12 years old. Any ideas on what it is?

I'll try coil tap on it, the guitar is waiting on other parts.

Thanks,

Well.............It's definitely a stacked single coil.....Are there any labels on it?

Comment

You can tell a stacked single from a non stacked look at the height on the pickup compared to a standard .
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

No label(s).
        I took the cover off. It is stacked.
        Oddly enough, same height as the the rest of my singles.
        Also, staggered polepieces. Cream cover.

Comment

Sounds like a Duncan hot stack.

Comment

Do you know that it is a Duncan? Based on the fact that one of your coils is Black/Red and the other is White/Green, it sounds to me like you may have a Dimarzio. If it is a Dimarzio, it could be a YJM. The impedance reading you got is pretty close, and YJM has staggered polepieces.

Comment

Thanks, Metal. I'll take a look.

Comment

Best I could tell, if this is a dimarzio, it might be a Virtual Vintage Solo.
                That's just according to the DC resistance on the leads.
                I didn't know there were so many stacked humbuckers.
                I'd like to have some idea what it is, but it will end up in
                the neck of the Kramer rebuild.

Here's some pix:

Comment

Virtual Vintage Solo resistance/impedance is 10.85k ohms overall, not per coil. To check the overall impedance (both coils in series) on a Dimarzio, you short the black and white wires together and measure from green to red. Try that and see what you get. I think you will get about 22k~24k ohms. If you do, and it is a Dimarzio, I would still guess that it is a YJM. Only HS-3 and YJM have this high an impedance, and only YJM has staggered polepieces. The picture of the back of the pickup you sent looks like a YJM too. I have never had a Virtual Vintage, so I don't know how the back looks on that one!

Comment

Damn, 23.2.
                    So it ought to work ok in the neck. I believe I saw Yngvie
                    hooked this up like a true SC, or Eric Johnson did, either way the
                    Kramer already has an extra mini switch hole, so I'll connect this
                    to a dpdt mini and get the sc out of it. That's great news, and should
                    give killer tone. If only my playing ability can rise to it...
                    Thanks, metal, great job.

Comment

No problem ...YJM will work great in the neck, even without coil tapping. Yngwie uses YJM in the neck position. Despite its high impedance, it's output is moderate and will not overpower the bridge pickup......You can always try the coil tap for the heck of it, but the pickup will lose its noise canceling ability......I believe Eric Johnson used to coil tap the HS-2......Anyway, best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                      X