My Floyd Rose and its slight tuning problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Floyd Rose and its slight tuning problem

I have a Jackson Performer and it had a licensed under Floyd Rose blah blah blah...anyway i bought a used original floyd rose and it works fine but there is a slight problem. When i depress the whammy bar it goes back to its tuning with no problem but when i pull up on it the damn thing stays slightly pivoted and it comes back to its place with the pivot and out of tune just a little bit.Can someone please help me with this problem. [email protected] Thanks!!!!

Re: My Floyd Rose and its slight tuning problem

Sounds like a worn out knife-edge or pivot-posts.
    Did you change the pivot- posts or did you keep the originals?

Comment

did you put OFR mounting posts, or left the licensed ones in the guitar body? (those 2 things that screw into the body, onto which the floyd pivots) i -strongly- suggest changing them because the licensed ones, at least those that come stock on a performer, are too narrow for the knife edges, meaning that all the pressure of the strings will wear out the center of your floyd's knife edges.

You'll need to change the bushings (the "receivers" that are in the body) as well as the mounting posts themselves, because original ones are a bit wider, and have much finer threading...but they'll fit in the same holes in the wood. to pull them out, just leave the mounting posts in the bushings, and pull them out with a hammer's nail-pulling side. Put something like a cloth between the guitar body and where you rest the hammer head, to avoid the pressure damaging your guitar's finish. You can order those parts (2 mounting posts with bushings) from apintl.com for about $15 - $20.

Also, how do the OFR clamp screws look at the back of the bridge? Normally a "licensed" floyd-rose cavity will be just slightly too short for them, so you can't pull the whammy bar upwards without the back end of those screws hitting the guitar top just behind the floyd cavity.... i found the best way to solve this is to cut off the tips of the screws (that go into those little blocks) and re-do them with a file or something so that they fit in the blocks again. This makes the screws slightly shorter so that when you pull upwards the clamp screws go into the back of the floyd cavity instead of hitting the top.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Delt worded it more eloquently than me, but that's what I meant as well.
        I've had a similar problem with an SL3.

Comment

Working...
        X