What's the sound of the plywood guitar/bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the sound of the plywood guitar/bass

I own cheapo bass for a project and I hesitate to spend some money on it, because I am not sure how good can plywood be.

It's stripped now and I can see plywood at the edges. If you ask me, that doesn't look bad at all, but I am wondering what will the sound be if I install some good pickup (like SD's Jazz Bass and Precision pickups).

Thanks.

Re: What\'s the sound of the plywood guitar/bass

I have had plywood guitars and they have sounded fine.But they can be very heavy. My major concern would be balance. Once you get good electronics and a good neck on one, rock on. For a project, a plywood body is great. If you mess it up you are not out a lot of money. Plywood is also very strong. So, if you decide to smash your project on stage, you'd better bulk up.

[ June 25, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: fett ]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Re: What\'s the sound of the plywood guitar/bass

A plywood body may sound fine with heavy
      distortion but even then A/B it with a guitar with a solid wood body and you'll notice it doesn't sound as good.

Obviously better pickups will give you better sound, but don't expect as much improvement with a plywood body. I personally think visible plies on a stripped natural finish looks horrible but to each his own. I'd take the body to an auto body shop and have them paint it a solid color, but that's just me.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X