String breakage @ nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String breakage @ nut

I am having a problem with the high E string breaking on the fretboard side of the locking nut. I just built the guitar and have replaced the high E three times. The string usually breaks with in 5-10 minutes of playing and always breaks during a bend. I also made sure not to bend the string more than a whole step. The neck is a brand new DK2 and locking nut. I checked the nut and I don’t see any rough edges or burrs, I also took a guitar pick and rubbed around and don’t feel anything wrong. Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Just one more guitar!

Re: String breakage @ nut

Did you check the underside of the string clamp? If it is always breaking in the same spot, there has to be something causing it. Maybe you are locking it down too tightly?

Comment

bump
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If it is always breaking in the same spot, there has to be something causing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's highly doubtful it's not the string since all 3 were new and are breaking at the same point. Check the clamp and the V-shaped channel the string passes through.

If the string is breaking while you bend the string up a whole step with your fingers, but not when you raise the pitch via the tremolo bar...then I believe the culprit would likely be the one side of the V-shaped channel closest to the Low-E string. There might not be a burr that can be felt, but the edge of the metal might be "sharper," ending in a knife-like edge that's cutting the string after bending it up a few times. You should repeatedly be able to bend the E string up 2 full steps on a new set of strings without worry of breaking it.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You should repeatedly be able to bend the E string up 2 full steps on a new set of strings without worry of breaking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, 2 steps might be a bit much for the high E. I guess I was thinking of the G string! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Still, you should be able to go 1 1/2 steps without worry of snappin it.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
          X