Comparison of Dimarzio Evo, Duncan Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of Dimarzio Evo, Duncan Custom

Was wondering if anyone has tried/compared the DiMarzio Evolution and the Seymour Duncan Custom. I'm looking for a new bridge pup for a SL2 to replace a JB that's going into another guitar.
    Thanks in advance, Junior.

Re: Comparison of Dimarzio Evo, Duncan Custom

I had a USA SLS with an Evo in the bridge and neck, and I have a similar model (same wood, same construction, same quality, etc)) with a Custom in the bridge and a JB in the neck. The Evos sounded a bit brighter to me, yet also sounded fairly dull overall - kinda flat (or most people would say "evenly balanced") with no real personality.
    The only tone-affecting differences between the two guitars (besides the pickups) were the bridge (SLS had stopbar/TOM, other one has Floyd), and the strings (10s on the SLS, 9s on the other).
    However, I find the Custom to be somewhat darker-toned than I like (maybe I got a bad solder joint? It starts out fine but then darkens up)

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Good Question..

I personally am biased to the Evo's and the Dimarzio line in general..

Here's the specs between the two picks ups:
      Dimarzio Evo:
      hum canceling
      tight/aggressive pick up
      with wide range of overtone

Duncan Custom:
      Hum canceling
      magnet: ceramic bar
      Touted as a high output pup with extra clarity and punch.

Between the 2, the Duncan seems a bit hotter..

I would say that as far as Duncan's go, I highly favor the Trembucker and trembucker distortion and the Invader.

For Dimarzios I highly favor the EVO, PAF Pro, the Double whammy (no longer made)
      and the Super 3

Hope this helps...

Scott

Comment

Dimarzio still offers the Double Whammy, just not in the catalog, My favorite pickup!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

How different is the Double Whammy from the Tone Zone? I have heard the Double Whammy back in the late 80's in this guys guitar and he wasnt the best guitarist (which probably had a negative effect on why I thought the pickup sucked) and I have a few Tone ZOnes and from what I recall they don't sound all that much alike at all.

I haven't checked the specs on the Double Whammy on the site as its not listed anymore, but IIRC the DW was low powered like 225 MV

Comment

ah cool! Thanks mm365

Thats comforting to know!!!
            Love that one!

Comment

The Double Whammy is 330MV. The tone chart reads bass 4, mid 9, and treble 5. It is not as bass heavy as the TZ. You can get that from your amp.

Comment

Yeah I remember the DW being a very middy pickup which I never cared for. A JB to me has a very annoying mid spike and another pickup I don;t care for either. The DW didn't sound like a JB at all, but I don't like either.

Comment

can't say it enough; there is no finer pickup than the duncan custom.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Folks for the input. I'm just a little burn't out on Seymour Duncan's (JB(2),C5,Custom,DD,Screamin Demon(3)) So I was thinking of giving DiMarzio's a try. I picked up a PAF Pro for the neck, and have been toying with the idea either a Evolution or Norton for the bridge. I guess I'll buy a EVO, and give it a try.
                    Thanks again for the input. Junior

Comment

Working...
                    X